586,075 active members*
3,654 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC conversion to tangential/oscillating knife

CNC conversion to tangential/oscillating knife

I am researching possible options for machining paper products and other troublesome materials. We are a sign/décor shop, we have two Anderson 5x10 flat table CNC’S and a Gerber 408 CNC. My first question is there any sort of adapter or mechanism that could convert the Andersons spindle into a oscillating/tangential knife (I have researched it and all I can find are patents for it). The second question is there an easy/cheap way that I could convert the Gerber to an oscillating/tangential knife, while making use of any key compatible components. All of my research leads me back to information on people building routers from the ground up, makes me think the conversion is more of a pain then its worth. And the last question would be if the other two options are not feasible what would be the best and cheapest options to build a router with a oscillating knife and possibly an eye cutter as well. The table would need to be 4x8 and the knife capable of cutting corrugated paper products up to an ¾ to 1 inch thick. Other materials we would like to knife are bioboard/sintra, styrene, coroplast and other substrates that don’t machine well. Any help would be greatly appreciated, also any tips on tricks on routering these materials would be helpful. We have tried all kinds of bits and none have yielded a part that doesn’t require time consuming clean up. Thank you for your time.

I have seen that head while researching. How involved would it be to make that head work on this.... http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...YXp_sHSwgZX8lg Gerber Sabre 408

I run a 5x10 Multicam CNC with a Tangential head. Its not going to be a simple task to convert your existing cnc to a knife cutter, You need to get the tangential control to turn the knife in the correct direction while its cutting. So you either need a controller that does this or you need a CAM package that can do this with the 4th axis and output the correct Gcode.

Our machine can do oscillating knife, drag knife, creasing wheel, pizza wheel and 45deg drag knife.

I think you would really be better off getting a complete system that is setup for this.

But if you are set on trying to make this work and are willing to spend the countless hours and money ] getting it running then your best bet is probably that DamenCNC head, you will need a custom mounting plate to attach it to your machine and you will need to run the wires back to your control cabinet. then you need to either make or have someone make the tangential controller or find a software package that will automatically calculate your tangential tool paths.

Oh and dont forget the countless hours (I spent 2 months) figuring out the correct blades, feedrates and cut depths for cutting the materials you want to cut.

Also you will need a special bed that will allow the oscillating knife a soft surface to cut on, you cannot cut on that bed like it is now. We have a 20hp vacuum pump and table with a special porous rubber surface that the knife cuts into. The knife must travel through the material and into this soft surface so it doesnt break its tip.

Feel free to ask me any questions, and good luck!

I run a 5x10 Multicam CNC with a Tangential head. Its not going to be a simple task to convert your existing cnc to a knife cutter, You need to get the tangential control to turn the knife in the correct direction while its cutting. So you either need a controller that does this or you need a CAM package that can do this with the 4th axis and output the correct Gcode.

Our machine can do oscillating knife, drag knife, creasing wheel, pizza wheel and 45deg drag knife.

I think you would really be better off getting a complete system that is setup for this.

But if you are set on trying to make this work and are willing to spend the countless hours and money ] getting it running then your best bet is probably that DamenCNC head, you will need a custom mounting plate to attach it to your machine and you will need to run the wires back to your control cabinet. then you need to either make or have someone make the tangential controller or find a software package that will automatically calculate your tangential tool paths.

Oh and dont forget the countless hours (I spent 2 months) figuring out the correct blades, feedrates and cut depths for cutting the materials you want to cut.

Also you will need a special bed that will allow the oscillating knife a soft surface to cut on, you cannot cut on that bed like it is now. We have a 20hp vacuum pump and table with a special porous rubber surface that the knife cuts into. The knife must travel through the material and into this soft surface so it doesnt break its tip.

Feel free to ask me any questions, and good luck!