586,035 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Axis jerking servo galil plugin motor tuning

I just finished running a long job and now my x axis is jerking or pulsing. This axis is slaved to A axis (2 servo gantry). Y and Z are still smooth, checked it outside of mach with wsdk galil and X runs smooth. Now this is what I did during the run that I had thought was not a good idea, but did it anyway . The program was cutting many little "x's", one leg if the x was shorter than others, slowed down feed 50% and problem resolved, assuming it was acceleration, I stopped the program with feed hold, opened motor tuning adjusted acceleration and restarted program. (did this twice). Any ideas as to what I have mucked up? The acceleration adjustment did solve the problem. I have gone back into motor tuning and selected different parameters, saved and rebooted to see if a cfg file needed to be refreshed, but no luck. The jerking/ pulsing does slow down with lower settings in motor tuning. Idea's

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Did you check with WDSK or DMCTerminal using the gearing commands direct and see if it is still there?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yes gantry and gearing still set up in galil and it travels smooth as usual using pr command. also checked that slaving was still set up in mach and it is. That is what it feels like is the two motors are no longer working together ( only in side mach)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Follow up - Solved

Al, I was wrong this problem occurs with Mach 3 and without. A longer move in Galil terminal raised the problem there. I thought I would follow up on what I believe the stupid problem was. I mentioned that this was a long run, while it was running I noticed I had never lowered one of the levelers when I moved the machine in. (yes I was anxious and it was pretty level on three feet ) So I extended the leveler to the floor, not changing level too much maybe 1/8". I believe this put the THK rails out of alignment (or more in line) which affected my motor tuning. After completely leveling the machine, and re tuning all axis the machine is running the smoothest it ever has. I also want to mention in this post the tuning videos from Dr. Jacob Tal - Galil are extremely helpful. I had viewed them a few times before but every time I seem to pick up a better understanding and tips to reduce servo error. I had been focused on achieving the perfect curve, however achieving the highest bandwith with the least amount of errors using the storage scope has proved the best method for this machine. It just goes to show "Haste makes waste"