586,043 active members*
3,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Face or pocket, which operation?

I can't get this to work! What operation should I use to clear material from an open pocket. I admit I'm a rookie with the mill but this should be so simple. It's a small pocket in the part but when choosing pocket and marking the sides to be open it leaves some material and I can not see why.

Here is the part

This is the restmaterial with pocket operation
    [IMG][/IMG]

And the restmaterial with facemill operation
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm using SC2008 SP3

Could you post some screen shots of the Geometery you selected? That may help.

I would sketch a pocket to clear the deisred materail for the operation and use the sketch for the geometery for a pockect opertion. A facing opertion is just about impossiable to control where the edge of cutter will stop, so a pocket operation would probly be better.

If you have Clear offset for a profile option, that may work, but older versions of soildcam are rather limted in this function.

Good luck

Here is the chain and still it's not going my way. The black line is what I marked as open edge. Also the blue line is included in the chain.

Could you post the model file. I would like to try something with Inventorcam2012.

I never had much luck using 'open pockets' with a shape like this one myself. I think you would be better off drawing your own sketch. Other wise the best option would be using 'clear offset' or using a large cutter that can clear all the material in one past, then using a smaller cutter to 'rest' machine.

Try this

This problem looks to me as if the cutter is trying to stay within the boundaries of the component.What you need to do is draw yourself a sketch on top of the job with extended lines so the cutter can cut past the edges of your workpiece and then use the drawing to describe your pocket instead of your workpiece.Hope I have made sense to you. Good luck.

Sounds like a good solution SOLIDCAMSTEVE. Seems like the only way here, thanks.