586,114 active members*
3,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Modified ACME TAPS

Does anyone know where I can get a spirial point Acme 1/2-10 tap?
    Are there any cutter grinder people out there who can sharpen a plug tap into a spirial point? If I had a surface grinder I would do it my self!

I've been having trouble power feeding a 1/2-10 acme plug tap into plastic, it reams the first 3 threads right out before it grabs! If I can't find a spirial point tap, then I'll have no choice but to make a tapping stand with a lead screw to feed the tap into the plastic! That's a lot more work than I had planned on! And the last thing I need is another project! :tired:

If I turn the tap with a tap handle under a center point, the tap starts fine! But it takes too much time and effort! I just ordered a two stage tap from ENCO, it may help but it is way too long for what I need! Single pointing the threads in my lathe is not a good Idea, as the lathe I have such a piece of junk! It's barely able to do simple stuff!

The fidgiting WidgitMaster!
    (Never be bored again!)

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails acmeplug_tap.jpg   acmetandem.jpg  

I doubt that a spiral point is going to self feed any better than a standard tap. Now spiral flute, that would suck itself in, but maybe too fast

Any reason you cannot power the tap with your lathe, or a drill press?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Now I had not thought of the drill press!
    It has a much looser spindle than the mill, it may work just fine!
    As I said, my lathe is a real waste of time, I'm currently looking for a used one which is made in America, not China!

I made the mystake of buying a Jet 9x20 lathe .... :devious:
    The underside of the ways, which the saddle clamp rides on is so uneven, it is either way too loose or too tight to slide! The whole machine needs to be re-machined to make it work! Not my idea of a fun or profitable project!

Thanks for the insight!

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!