I'm in the process of converting an old Moog Hydrapoint to a brushed DC servo system and was very seriously considering running Mach3. But I read that EMC will do full closed loop servo control. This sounds real good to me, but I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find real clear answers to yet by searching.

1. Am I correct in thinking that I can use an H-Bridge with a PWM and Direction input to drive each of my motors. I was looking at Dugong's, but I can make H-bridges myself easily(done it before several times). And I assume that a PWM signal can be output from a Mesa card, correct?

2. I am a big fan of multiple monitor setups, and custom GUI's. Will I be able to use dual monitors? I keep reading about problems with Nvidia drivers, will ubuntu allow me to span the desktop across 2 19" lcds with either a non-nvidia video card or an Nvidia card with different drivers?

3. I see that there is a newer version of ubuntu that the older one that seems popular for use with LinuxCNC, is there a problem with the newest version?

4. I have been planning to use a 2-3 HP sensorless vector VFD for my spindle motor. the lack of easy rigid tapping is a turn off to me for Mach3, but apparently LinuxCNC can. Am I correct to assume that I can still use a basic sensorless Vector VFD with the addition of an encoder on the spindle sending that signal to the PC and achieve rigid tapping capability?

Marvin