586,075 active members*
3,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Artcam Express

Hello, I am new to this forum and CNC plasma cutting but have been a CNC machinist for 17 years. I just got a 4x4 Blaze with a powermax 65 and love it. The only problem is with some of the software. It came with Artcam Express for drawing. It does great for artwork but I need something that is easy to draw basic mechanical parts and change them into DXF files. I just want to tell it a basic shape and be able to put holes at certain location. Ex. 6x4" rectangle with a 1/2" hole 2"s in from each edge. Has anyone used artcam for this or could anyone suggest a program that might work for theses type of parts? Thanks in advance!

Brett

solid edge is best drafting and 3d modelling software u can try it

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ferris View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum and CNC plasma cutting but have been a CNC machinist for 17 years. I just got a 4x4 Blaze with a powermax 65 and love it. The only problem is with some of the software. It came with Artcam Express for drawing. It does great for artwork but I need something that is easy to draw basic mechanical parts and change them into DXF files. I just want to tell it a basic shape and be able to put holes at certain location. Ex. 6x4" rectangle with a 1/2" hole 2"s in from each edge. Has anyone used artcam for this or could anyone suggest a program that might work for theses type of parts? Thanks in advance!

Brett
    Solidworks has a free program called Draftsight. Take a look

Mike

Have a look at Cut2D.

Cut 2D - Features

Cut2D would be brilliant for you and you'd love using it, but if it's simple geometries, even MS Visio if you have it at work or home will do that fine. That's what I started with, and generated the G-code with Lazycam.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!