586,075 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

2006 TM1 wont boot up.

Shut my TM1 off Friday night around Nine. Saturday morning hit the power on button, got the usual BEEP,screen tries to come on but doesn't, then the spindle load meter starts pulsing from zero to sixty percent. No buttons on the control panel work. Tried rebooting, same result. Opened the bac and tried to boot again, a whole bunch of led's on a whole bunch of boards are pulsing on and off just like the spindle load meter. The three red led's on the board close to the power supply blink on and off, all the other led's on other boards are green and blinking. The fans located under the servo amps. are running constant not pulsing on and off like the led's. My machine is wired up to run one phase and I checked the voltage coming into and out of the machine breaker and it shows ok.
    Anyone ever have a problem like this?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by sexton View Post
    Shut my TM1 off Friday night around Nine. Saturday morning hit the power on button, got the usual BEEP,screen tries to come on but doesn't, then the spindle load meter starts pulsing from zero to sixty percent. No buttons on the control panel work. Tried rebooting, same result. Opened the bac and tried to boot again, a whole bunch of led's on a whole bunch of boards are pulsing on and off just like the spindle load meter. The three red led's on the board close to the power supply blink on and off, all the other led's on other boards are green and blinking. The fans located under the servo amps. are running constant not pulsing on and off like the led's. My machine is wired up to run one phase and I checked the voltage coming into and out of the machine breaker and it shows ok.
    Anyone ever have a problem like this?

Thanks in advance.
    That sounds just like a problem I had with my work computer. At times I would turn it on and it would not fire up but sit and pulse on and off with the visible LED's (power button, USB drive and disk drive LED)

On it it turned out to be the power supply had gotten dirty and it was shorting (like static discharge) internally and was shutting itself off and on.

Try going to the power supply and blowing air into it (with the power off of course) then try to start it.

It does sound like it could be the power supply anyway, whether or not that works. The power supplies are basically identical.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, unfortunately its still blinking, blinking, blinking at me.

David.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, unfortunately its still blinking, blinking, blinking at me.

David.
    Check the 12v and 5v coming from the power supply and see if they are going off and on.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

[QUOTE=Machineit;1129193]Check the 12v and 5v coming from the power supply and see if they are going off and on.

Yep, they are pulsing coming out of the PS. I guess that's
    my problem, huh.

[quote=sexton;1129226]
    Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Check the 12v and 5v coming from the power supply and see if they are going off and on.

Yep, they are pulsing coming out of the PS. I guess that's
    my problem, huh.
    That's got my vote! Not a real hard or expensive fix and that is good. It is just a computer power supply.

Funny how my computer had the exact same issue. It only messed up when it was cold last winter. I would get it going in the morning by putting a head gun to it for a couple of minutes, and warming it up a little and then it would fire up. I would try to leave it on, but once in a while I would forget or it would do updates and shut down.

When the warmer weather came it was fine again. Then It started to do it again and I took it out and pulled the cover off and cleaned it thoroughly. When I put it back in it worked fine and has not messed up again. The bad part about it is that it is a special power supply that came with my HP computer and it is about 2/3 the size of a normal power supply. A regular one won't fit the housing. I had a bunch of power supplies but none when the small size. But, a friend came across a small one and I have it if I need it again.

Well, I'm going on aren't I!?!?!?! Sorry, I hope your machine is up and running soon.

Mike

[quote=Machineit;1129397]

That's got my vote! Not a real hard or expensive fix and that is good. It is just a computer power supply.

Funny how my computer had the exact same issue. It only messed up when it was cold last winter. I would get it going in the morning by putting a head gun to it for a couple of minutes, and warming it up a little and then it would fire up. I would try to leave it on, but once in a while I would forget or it would do updates and shut down.

When the warmer weather came it was fine again. Then It started to do it again and I took it out and pulled the cover off and cleaned it thoroughly. When I put it back in it worked fine and has not messed up again. The bad part about it is that it is a special power supply that came with my HP computer and it is about 2/3 the size of a normal power supply. A regular one won't fit the housing. I had a bunch of power supplies but none when the small size. But, a friend came across a small one and I have it if I need it again.

Well, I'm going on aren't I!?!?!?! Sorry, I hope your machine is up and running soon.

Mike
    Your computor sounds like on old CNC lathe I ran a few years ago. The shop where I worked at the time was big, and very hard to heat, and during the winter I had to keep the lathe warm using a kerosene space heater or it wouldn't run.
    Thanks for the help with my mill. Gonna round up and old pc and see about robbing the power supply.

David

There is a very simple explanation for the symptom you are describing. The load meter and all of the LEDs in the electrical cabinet use power from the low volt power supply in the electrical cabinet. The fans run on 115 volts and are not affected by a low volt power problem. I have seen this exact problem on one other Haas Machine. The power supply that you described with three LEDs is not the source of low volt power in the cabinet. There is a small power supply above it, usually mounted vertically. 115 volts is supplied to this low volt power supply from a cable with one black and one red wire. The other cable supplies +5 , +12 and -12 volts to all of the boards in the cabinet through several yellow, white, and red wires. This is an easy part to replace and you can do this yourself, but your dealer cannot include a warranty unless they replace it.
    Steven Hawthorne
    Haas Automation, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiRoadRunner View Post
    There is a very simple explanation for the symptom you are describing. The load meter and all of the LEDs in the electrical cabinet use power from the low volt power supply in the electrical cabinet. The fans run on 115 volts and are not affected by a low volt power problem. I have seen this exact problem on one other Haas Machine. The power supply that you described with three LEDs is not the source of low volt power in the cabinet. There is a small power supply above it, usually mounted vertically. 115 volts is supplied to this low volt power supply from a cable with one black and one red wire. The other cable supplies +5 , +12 and -12 volts to all of the boards in the cabinet through several yellow, white, and red wires. This is an easy part to replace and you can do this yourself, but your dealer cannot include a warranty unless they replace it.
    Yep, its right where you said it would be. Two connectors and two screws and its was out. Power was going in ok, but pulsing coming out. I think I'll see if Haas will sell me one without sending a Tech. out. Heck that was so simple (knock wood) I don't think even I could mess it up.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help me out. You and Mike both.
    I bought this machine new and this is the first trouble its given me.
    I've been pretty bummed out the last couple of days, worried it may be something major. We're just a small outfit on a pretty tight budget and I dreaded telling my bookkeeper (my wife) how much it was gonna cost to fix.

Thanks again,

David

Quote Originally Posted by HemiRoadRunner View Post
    The new low volt power supply that I ordered from Haas came in today.
    That was indeed the problem, booted up just like a new'un.

Thanks again for the help,

David

The new low volt power supply that I ordered from Haas came in today.
    That was indeed the problem, booted up just like a new'un.

Thanks again for the help,

David
    Glad HemiRoadRunner was able to help you!

Mike