586,119 active members*
3,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Edgecam 2012 Settings and Milling Sequences

Edgecam 2012 Settings and Milling Sequences

When creating a machining sequence in Edgecam 2012 and you want to repeat an operation you can copy it by holding Ctrl and dragging it to the location you want it in the sequence. Then you have to edit it and check "Coord Input" to select the new geometry, path or whatever you want for the operation. My problem is that it keeps what you already have selected from when you made the copy. So if you forget to deselect your old paths your tool is going follow the old path again and then do the new path you select. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to turn off this feature, so when I check "Coord Input" nothing is selected and it is waiting for me to select the new tool path only. Thanks for any help.

Once you've copied the instruction, go to check 'coord input' and on the right hand side of the screen under the green tick should be a red cross. Select the red cross and this will clear the selection, leaving you able to select new geometry or features etc.
    Does this help?

It helps a little. I wanted an option in a menu somewhere so I don't have to deselect geometry, features, etc. every time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NFPprogrammer View Post
    When creating a machining sequence in Edgecam 2012 and you want to repeat an operation you can copy it by holding Ctrl and dragging it to the location you want it in the sequence. Then you have to edit it and check "Coord Input" to select the new geometry, path or whatever you want for the operation. My problem is that it keeps what you already have selected from when you made the copy. So if you forget to deselect your old paths your tool is going follow the old path again and then do the new path you select. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to turn off this feature, so when I check "Coord Input" nothing is selected and it is waiting for me to select the new tool path only. Thanks for any help.
    In 2012 R1 it is only the roughing and profiling toolpaths that are selected. In 2012 R2 all the selections are done like this.

I can see why you may not like the new method, you just have to remember to hit the little cross if you're changing the geometry completely. IMHO the new method is far superior because it does retain the selection. If you go back to a part after a year or so and want to simply add an additional bound or something you can easily do it. Where as before the change you would have to re select everything and hope you can remember what you selected last time. The same goes for removing geometry.

For simple stuff, yes it may take some getting used too, but if you're like me and do complex parts for airframes etc. you would realise that it's a blessing and something I've wanted for years.

It won't even be a problem once you are used to it. Just run your programs through the simulator and you'll pick up any problems.

Thanks for the input. :cheers:

this issues created some problems at first but the more i use it the more i like it.
    if thats the trade off for highlighting geometery and boundries used in the cycle for reference then i'll get used to it.

i love the new breakdown tree for each cycle and the waveform roughing is kicking ass for me. push it till your load meter is maxed out and back off a touch.
    been ripping the heck out of aluminum with it lately.
    double normal depths of cut and feeds, its impressive when you get it rolling.

i'm getting used to deselecting everything when i redefine copied cycles and kinda like the visual reference when i don't

I agree with Tim... at first, remembering to de-select geometry was down right dangerous (costed me a part on a couple of ocasions) but once you get used to it its ok. and it beats having to reselect everything.
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

machining an arc along the X axis

gentlemen, i have a 3 axis machine and i am attempting to machine a 19.7" radius arc from X -3.25 to x 3.25 and 9.25" long along the Y xis. My stock is 2" thick X 6.5" wide X 9.25" long and i have placed the CPL cented on the top face. I am face milling .23" off first then when i attempt to mill this arc i am prompted with "geometry not on plane of CPL" then "ignoring open profile". i can't seem to design this geometry as a closed profile.

Is the whole problem due to only having a 3 axis machine?

Thanks.

rilcocnc,

attach your ppf and I'm sure someone will have a look at it for you.
    Sounds like you just need a little guidance.