586,110 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Whats the difference between a cheap controller and a more expensive one?

Whats the difference between a cheap controller and a more expensive one?

Hi all,

In planning my first CNC (probably a Joe's 4x4 Hybrid), I've been thinking about the differences between a cheap controller (such as the Hobbycnc kits) and a more expensive one (such as a Gecko G540). Other than putting the thing together, whats the difference performance-wise? What would I notice between using the two?

Thanks,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by cbrandonb View Post
    Hi all,

In planning my first CNC (probably a Joe's 4x4 Hybrid), I've been thinking about the differences between a cheap controller (such as the Hobbycnc kits) and a more expensive one (such as a Gecko G540). Other than putting the thing together, whats the difference performance-wise? What would I notice between using the two?

Thanks,

Brandon
    I believe the HobbyCNC is a unipolar drive, the G540 is bipolar. You might have more motor options with a G540, and can run higher voltages meaning stronger steppers can be used and highe speeds can be attained. Also, plug-and-play is a nice thing...

There are a couple experts here on the unipolar drives, there are benefits to both....

Thanks for the reply. I will do some digging on the difference between unipolar and bipolar.

Thanks for the reply!

Brandon

Also what's your time worth? At $235 its an easy sell IMO. Its super easy to connect...
    Page Title

Found a pretty good video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxxnPJBxG3M]Unipolar and Bipolar Stepper Motors - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    Also what's your time worth? At $235 its an easy sell IMO. Its super easy to connect...
    Page Title
    I understand that, and am still considering it. I will be building this machine over time (probably a year or so), so my time in this case is not a huge deal. And I enjoy soldering, too. I've got a nice soldering station with hot air for reflow and all that jazz.

However, that's a heck of a deal on that G540! That's cheap. Thanks for the link!

Brandon

There's also the question of support. Gecko's support can't be beat. Others? Who knows, varies from good to none.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Just for whatever it's worth, the Hobbycnc board is a very good board.
    And especially so for the price of it.

I had 5 at one time. I liked it so much I had 2 spares on hand.
    Never did need them.

For quite a while, the Hobbycnc board was the driver board of
    choice. That and/or the Xylotex. Nothing happened to make those
    drivers any less useful. Hobbycnc has run some good sized prototype
    machines here.

That said, there's little doubt the G540 is the better choice, but for what
    it costs....as long as it's assembled carefully....the Hobbycnc board
    works Very well. And is Very reliable.

$0.02

john

Everyone I've ever seen upgrade to a G540 from a cheaper board usually reports a minimum of a 2X perfomance increase.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry, what kind of performance you are referring to? Speed? Accuracy? Something else?

Thanks for all of these replies! This decision may be a bit harder than I thought it was going to be.

Brandon

Hi all,

Thanks,

Brandon
    Daylight and Dark, in my experience. But in all fairness, my first attempt was a used ebay purchase (AIO-500 Stepper Controller Board). It worked, but only sporatically. And since I was new to CNC at the time (and therefore still trying to LEARN) this resulted in total confusion. (I.E. commanded moves in Mach3 could not be relied upon to successfully execute, with the first controller board). When I later upgraded to the Gecko G540, ALL of these problems disappeared! (And the learning curve actually started progressing).

Gerry, what kind of performance you are referring to? Speed? Accuracy? Something else?

Thanks for all of these replies! This decision may be a bit harder than I thought it was going to be.

Brandon
    Speed.
    Drives don't really have any noticeable effect on accuracy.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Another benefit of the G540 is that it morphs from microstep to full step at speed, so you do not lose any top-end torque (typically microstepping comes at a loss of torque) so you get the best of both worlds; smooth movement at slow speed and more power at higher speeds.

Also, the G540 is made of four G250s so it is easily service should one of the axes goes bad. It also has an integrated breakout board making wiring easier for other accessories. It's easier to mount to a control box.

For a cheaper alternative, the xylotex kit is tough to beat. At $425 for a ready-built control box, and three steppers, already wired with connectors, it's as plug and play as you're going to get. The kits are even cheaper. I used one for about three years and it never let me down. But the G540 blows it out of the water.

The difference was huge for me. I used a cheap driver when I built my router and could barely get 30ips without stalling. I upgraded to a G540 and can get over 100ips - the machine is too small to take advantage of that speed, but at least I know it's capable! Plus the fact that it's an all-in-one package was well worth the money!

Gary

Good to know. Thanks again for the updates, all. Since I'm planning on this being more of an investment tool, I may just go ahead and grab a G540 up front and be done with it.

Brandon