586,115 active members*
3,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Modify a 3D model in CAD/Solidworks

Modify a 3D model in CAD/Solidworks

I just assembled my 3D Model and realized that I need to increase the door length, for instance, about 0.06" in CAD. Meanwhile, I tried "Smart Dimension" in Solidworks; however, the Primary Value option was not active anymore for a 3D Model! Please don't tell me I should redraw everything! :tired:

In other words, my question is how we can modify the dimensions of a 3D Model in either CAD or Solidworks! Any suggestions!

Maybe try the solidworks sub-forum if you don't get any good info here...
    Patrick Brewster

The size of a solidworks part is determined in a sketch or feature. Open the part file, find the feature that needs modified in the feature tree, modify the sketch or feature to get the change you want.

Matt

Because my 3D model was created in CAD, the feature tree was appeared as imported ones! So I tried Featureworks, however, it didn't work for the surface imported!

I don't know how the solidworks sub-forum works! Can you explain it more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feature work.jpg  

There is a special area for solidworks questions. Go to the main forum home, scroll down until you find it. Redirecting...

FYI Solidworks is CAD. I gave you a lame answer because I was misled by your terminology. You question really relates to "How do I modify imported geometry?" while I was answering "How do i modify a solidworks part file?" The short answer is featureworks. If featureworks does not recognize your parts, then your question should be "How to get featureworks to recognize my parts?". Ask in the solidworks area. There are also some great solidworks specific forums on the web. Assuming you have a legal copy of solidworks, why not just talk to your reseller? Our reseller has a few gurus who amaze me at what they can do. I've never had the pleasure of a featureworks license so I can't be of much help.

Matt

For sure I will! Thanks for your good information.

Quote Originally Posted by CAD2013 View Post
    Because my 3D model was created in CAD, the feature tree was appeared as imported ones! So I tried Featureworks, however, it didn't work for the surface imported!

I don't know how the solidworks sub-forum works! Can you explain it more!

Try deleting the 2 imported "surfaces" first. then Featureworks "may" be able to reconstruct it. Otherwise you can use Solidworks to add a boss of 0.06 to the bottom of the door. With imported geometry you can add to it or cut away from it, if Featureworks can't deconstruct it. Your VAR should get you pointed in the right direction.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1948 View Post
    Try deleting the 2 imported "surfaces" first. then Featureworks "may" be able to reconstruct it. Otherwise you can use Solidworks to add a boss of 0.06 to the bottom of the door. With imported geometry you can add to it or cut away from it, if Featureworks can't deconstruct it. Your VAR should get you pointed in the right direction.

Mike
    Thanks a lot for your help!