586,423 active members*
3,246 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New DNC system

Hello,

So we're looking at getting a DNC system here at our shop so we can stop using floppy discs. what software out there would be a good one to start with. we have 7 machines. (2 haas, 4 miltronics, and 1 hardenge bridgeport).

thanks for your help,

Clyde

At our shop we use NCNet (the free version), which only supports 1 machine setup, but through the use of a transfer switch we have it wired out to all 3 machines. According to their website (DNC – wireless and wired, Free DNC for 1 machine) the paid version supports up to 8 machines. Check it out to see if they can take care of your needs, I haven't had a problem in the time I've been running their software.
    2x 87' Kitamura Mycenter 2B's, 98' Daewoo ACE V-35, and for the special projects, '05 Dremel tool.

DNC mfor Milltronics

You can DNC using the windows RS-232 program, Hyper terminal. using a RS-232 cable attached to all Milltroincs machines.
    Just set up the send /recieve parameters as shown in the manual.
    No Manual, PM ME.

NOTES: 1. older controls did nit have "FIFO buffering" If your control is not a SBC updated control, ( C5/C6) then you can assume it does not support "FIFO buffering". Goto the hyper terminal adavanced settings and click on the check box " turn off FIFO"
    FIFO ( first in first out) buffers were not yet "invented In earlier versions of DOS and BIOS systems. "No Got , can't use"
    Using RS-232, speed depends on the length,quality and routing of the cable.

More info see my other threads. or PM me.
    Networking is the fastest way. PM me for more info.

If you are looking for bypassing the Floopy drive. i have a floppy to USB drive. that allows 100 disks per USB thumb drive (provied in the kit) that will allow 100 disk sectors,( think 100 floppies per thumb drive) the possibility of Zipping and unzipping files ( tested to 4.8MB) a bootable disk sector and more. PM me for more info. Reasonable. works with 32 and 64 bit PC's

100 floppy capability available to most machines. the Zip thing works on the Milltroncs, not sure about other controls.

Sportybob

Sportybob

Clyde,

There are several programs on the market and free from websites. Some of them work great and have documentation to review. Some don't offer support and expect you to do trial and error to get the control to communicate and find your own hardware interface to the equipment.

If you want a few options, such DNC Software and check out each site, talk to the reps, ask your machine tool guys, CAM company, and other shops. Each will tell you a story that might lead you to a few vendors to chose from.

I have been in the market for 15+ years and they all can communicate, but at the end of the day, how much support, service and upgrade path do you want for the future. I can't tell you how many shops I walk in and see 20% of the machines not setup because they could not get it working with the free stuff. They say, nothing comes for free without a price (paid in time, effort, lost productivty, or ??).

Check out our solutions since we offer eXtremeDNC and Predator along with hardware products that do not require software. It generally gives you a good idea of cost and then you can check out what others say about the solutions.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

DNC to CNC

I agree with GM3211. try the free stuff 1st. As stated. it is just a communications program.
    If you have up to XP try Hyper terminal. It works for a lot of people.
    see my previous reply. you will have to turn off the FIFO ( first in first out ) buffer in the advance settings of hyperterminal or any other comm program if your machine does not have 16550 UART chips for the comm.
    Figure any machine older then a pentium 75 processsor.
    If in doubt turn it off.
    On the Milltronics you can use the offline "FastCam" software if you have it. No reason it sould not communicate with the other controls as well.
    enter F10 (util) the F4 (RS232) Send.
    Set the machine up to recieve fist. Then send.

Or of tired of using the floppy. PM me for 2 other options.

sportybob