586,075 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Soft rubber filament

I was curious if this was possible to print with just one filament

SOFT TOUCH KNOB FOR 6MM SHAFT | AllElectronics.com

Thats a very comfy soft rubber. Is any machine accurate enough to print that at least marginally well? I am trying to understand the accuracy of these machines. I am trying to find a good knowledge source to learn more about who is making a good quality version. I have budget of 1k.

No.
    Nothing to do with accuracy, but the simple physics of the knob.

This style of knob, has a _hard_ plastic core, with a metal ring inside, into which a collet pulls, closing up to clamp the shaft. Then around this 'hard centre', the rubber outer shell. On most there are actually a total of seven different pieces:

1) The hard top cap - snaps into the body
    2) The bolt that pulls the collet
    3) Washer under this
    4) Collet pulled up by the bolt into a ring
    5) Metal ring
    6) Hard plastic body, providing the part the cap snaps into, support the bolt/washer pulls against, and the tube holding the ring
    7) Finally on the outside, the soft rubber outer.

Now obviously - 1,2,3 & 4 are separate components, but the hard plastic is normally cast round the ring, and then the textured outer is applied to this, making a single assembly of three different materials.

So at the minimum, you'd need two materials in the printer, one the hard plastic that is going to provide the mechanical strength, and the other a softer material for the outside. Then printing the hard plastic onto an accurately placed metal ring. Trying to make the whole knob of a softer material is doomed to failure.

I have actually made a couple of odd sized knobs similar to this using a RapMan, but 'stole' the cap, from an off the shelf unit, turned the collet and ring in brass, then made the body in ABS, and the outside in the ORBI soft PLA.

Best Wishes

Smile Rubber flexible 3d printer filament

Yes you can print that knob is a soft filament, this company has two types of flexible filament Flexible / Rubber-like for 3d printers

If you are looking for rubber filament, 3d2print has flexible material for 3D printing. Flexible Rubber-like TPE filament is now available at their webshop. I've recently purchased their Rubber TPE Blue 1.75mm to make some new rubber flip-flops for this summer.