586,061 active members*
4,770 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Power outage zapped my control...

Power outage zapped my control...

We're running a pair of@ 10 yr old Hardinge VMC-1000 IIs with a Fanuc Control System II.

I had one of the controls in edit mode, blinking 'LSK' while waiting to receive a program across the RS-232 when suddenly our power went out which killed everything in the building. Brought the machines back up in the normal way but this one had the dreaded "101 P/S ALARM." Tried the recommended fix in the Hardinge manual:

("press <reset> while pressing <prog>, and only the prog being edited will be deleted. Register the program."

...but nothing happened; alarm's still there whether I try it while it is on or during power-up. Now, prog will neither switch nor receive programs. I googled the alarm code and came up with several links to "fixes" but there's a WIDE variety of answers out there on what to do when the manual's suggestion doesn't work. Only one of the two machines were affected since the other one was in Auto mode and only had to have a lost-zero cleared out. I was therefore able to compare the program lists of the two machines and we still have #9020 Tool Change sub-prog in the affected one but there are 4 other #9000 series progs in the unaffected machine that I cannot see in the zapped one; I'm not sure if we lost anything else, and for that matter I'm not sure if we lost anything at all because I know that for some reason some of the 9000-series progs are hidden from the memory list and we don't mess with them so I wouldn't know if one was zapped or not. I do have the parameters backed up but before I go blowing those out and reloading them I'd like to know if anyone has any other ideas for clearing the alarm out?

Thank you in advance, guys. I'm going to post this in the Hardinge forum too, just in case no one sees this one here for a few days.

Rob.

Not sure what a fanuc control system II is..
    PS101 is simply a buffer that was left open. Normally, you would go to the setting page, type is PS101 then input.

Phil - Plumasmachine

A friends Fanuc Control used to do that often, The only way to recover was the Total Reset - I think you need to HOLD DELETE WHILE POWERING ON, Cant remember may have been CAN and DELETE, This would Erase ALL MEMORY, But at least he got back running again.

i don't think total reset is necessary, just clear the program memory should do the job. Set PWE=1, turn power off, then switch on while pressing delete. Unfortunally, all program, including 9000's will be cleared, even if they are protected(hidden).

do NOT clear all memory. Call me Wednesday 289 389 6117.

Hello Bob,

Not sure if this applies to your model control, but this would happen to me quite often through the years. I'm retired now so lets poke my memory.

In the control there are 2 specific chips for communication. I purchased replacements at RadioShack or DigiKey. This problem happen so often (storms) I installed bases for the chips. After that, no more soldering. I could identify the chips if I saw them. Not hard to find. Saved the company $$$$$.

Hope this helps.

Rick

That does not explain the inability to clear the program. These chips (I have them) are usually 75188 + 75189. You still need the right footprint.

I recognize the chip numbers. They are correct.
    Sorry I couldn't help.