586,075 active members*
4,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Grounding the DC-K40

Hi everyone

I recently got the DC-k40 laser cutter and am just a little confused about the grounding. I don't have much experience with these kinda things so please bear with me.

Ok, so in the manual it says that it needs to be grounded via the ground terminal at the back. But because i was curious, I opened up the unit and the ground terminal is actually connected to the top pin of the power socket of the unit. So assuming that the top pin is ground, wouldn't that mean it is already grounded? Being in Australia, our outlets have the third pin for grounding so i'm not really sure what to do.

Does anyone have any advice? Should i still ground it via the ground terminal or is it already grounded? If i do need to ground it myself, what can i safely ground it to?

Thanks!

This is just my opinion, but you should probably run a ground wire from the ground terminal to a ground rod that has been set in the ground (earth). I used a 5 foot copper rod and pounded it into the earth and then attached a copper wire to the rod. This, again, in my opinion, the best way to assure the best ground possible.

Milt

Thanks for the reply. Could i do anything else besides that? The unit is currently in an apartment so i don't really have easy access to physical ground.

This may not be the best way, or may not be good at all. I have heard of others using the following method. Attach a wire to the ground terminal on the laser. Wrap the other end of the wire around a screw or nail that will fit snugly in to the ground receptacle in the electrical outlet. Put the nail or screw in the ground socket in the outlet. This does require that your apartment wiring is grounded properly....as I said, I have heard of this being done, but I would not do it. It may be your only alternative. If you do it, I accept no responsibility for the machine or the apartment. Ask an electrician if this is safe or not.

Milt

Using a multimeter check the continuity of ground from the ground wire in the case / the case and the ground pin on the end of the plug (vertical pin that is longer).
    Aus has a ground pin as standard.

Shouldn't need to do further (note, I am not an electrician).

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Using a multimeter check the continuity of ground from the ground wire in the case / the case and the ground pin on the end of the plug (vertical pin that is longer).
    Aus has a ground pin as standard.

Shouldn't need to do further (note, I am not an electrician).
    Yep, this is what i plan on doing. Thanks!