586,104 active members*
3,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Source for 316ss, 17-4 PH, 0.400" O.D. with 0.098" thru hole by 15" long ??

Source for 316ss, 17-4 PH, 0.400" O.D. with 0.098" thru hole by 15" long ??

sometimes this material with this long small thru hole is called "cannulated" and used in the medical device industry for things like Needles, etc.

Anybody have a good source in the USA for this type of material? I am having problems finding this stuff..

I need the material to be either 316ss or 17-4 PH, 0.400" O.D. with 0.098" thru hole by 15" long

Why do you need a 0.098" hole through the entire 15" length? Get some over size heavy wall tubing and plug weld the ends. Then grind OD to size and square to length and drill each end for the 0.098" hole.

Welded and Drawn Stainless Steel Tubing - Plymouth Tube Company

not interested in grinding, this needs to be done on a swiss turn all in one shot with live tooling.

thanks though

Then you better get busy and get that special order placed. Last time I placed an order for special heavy wall tubing, it took over 6 months to receive. And that was from the supplier with the best projected lead time.

yes I understand, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Then you better get busy and get that special order placed. Last time I placed an order for special heavy wall tubing, it took over 6 months to receive. And that was from the supplier with the best projected lead time.

Well this is interesting.

When I first read this I though you had a typo. I've never had a need so don't have any solid advice. I was online at work a few days looking for metric sized metals and found a place called "metric metals" or something which had all sorts of tubing including very fine ID tubing but almost nothing with this sort of wall thickness. Being metric I suspect much of the stock is imported though.

Quote Originally Posted by twp View Post
    sometimes this material with this long small thru hole is called "cannulated" and used in the medical device industry for things like Needles, etc.
    If I walk or are wheeled into a hospital and see any needles 0.4" inches in diameter I'm running out! That being said I have seen some adds in medical materials magazines for hypodermic tubing, but again nothing heavy walled.
    Anybody have a good source in the USA for this type of material? I am having problems finding this stuff..
    I would imagine so.
    I need the material to be either 316ss or 17-4 PH, 0.400" O.D. with 0.098" thru hole by 15" long
    The wall thickness plus bore diameter has me perplexed. Is the actual part 15" long or are you concerned about running off a few parts in a lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by twp View Post

years ago we did something very similar. we had them gun drilled, I believe powill manufacturing in arizona did the gun drilling for my customer, who supplied the material to me. our blanks were around 12" long and I think .5 o.d.