586,096 active members*
3,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Vacuum Former Change from 3 phase to Single Phase
Page 5 of 5 345
    20 amps should be OK on 240v.
    The pneumatics depend on how high you need to lift but a 20lb lift is very small so you should not only need a small dia. cylinder.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, I have everything wired except two new 50 amp fuses. I am going to try and pick them up tomorrow.

I do have a couple questions. The two original contactors were wired to two "On--Off" switches for the heaters. One turned on the upper heater and the other turned on the bottom heater. The contactors were wired together and had a neutral tying them together. I am not sure if I still need the on off switches and I don't know where to wire them. On the control panel. There is a On-Off switch.

There is also another white wire coming from the control panel, and it is not connected to anything. Do you have any suggestion what I would connect this wire to? Could I just connect this neutral wire to the neutral bar?

The white neutral will be needed for any single phase components such as the coils etc.
    I should be connected from where ever the neutral is sourced in the panel.
    If you have two contactors and want to control them manually and separate, then you will need two on-off switches, each wired to the other terminal on the contactor coil, the neutral to the other side of the coil.
    Al.

Albert E.

I was looking through old photos. The vacuum pump and all the controls have the neutrals connected together. Then two neutrals run off of this. One of the neutrals connects in the panel. The other nuetral went to the contactors. Should I run this to the connectors or run it to the other neutrals in the box? I didn't realize this, but I need to run a nuetral to the contactor. Where do I connect the the nuetral on the contactor and will I connect the nuetral to the box?

You should have a central point in the panel for all neutrals or if only a few, to daisy chain them to all items that require a neutral.
    Do not switch the neutral.
    The neutral for each contactor goes to one of the coil terminals, often marked A1 or A2.
    The other side of the coil is the wired to the switch terminal.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al I wired up most of everything today. I waiting on my 50 amp fuses. In the meantime, I wired up the old fuses.

I tried starting the machine and it would not turn on. I also didn't wire a neutral to the contactor. There doesn't seem to be any place. Also, I didn't wire up the switch for heater to the contactor because there wasn't a place. I figured the pump should at least turn on.

My father gave me a meter the other day. I have never used one before. I will read up on them. One of the panel says 3 phase 240. I only wired up to sets of the fuses. Could it require all three fuses to complete the circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by the1toyplace View Post
    I tried starting the machine and it would not turn on. I also didn't wire a neutral to the contactor. There doesn't seem to be any place.
    You need to identify both sides of the coil, one side will have the neutral wired to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by the1toyplace View Post
    My father gave me a meter the other day. I have never used one before. I will read up on them. One of the panel says 3 phase 240. I only wired up to sets of the fuses. Could it require all three fuses to complete the circuit?
    You should only need two as you are now using 1 phase 240v with 120v and neutral for the control.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al, I took a pretty crappy video of the vacuum former. Hopefully this could help you answer some of my questions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqp5jrve_tc&feature=g-upl]Vacuum Former - YouTube[/ame]

The schematic you posted in Post #21 shows the control circuit wiring including the neutral, you need to identify the 2 coil connections on the contactors, the neutral goes to one of these.
    Also one of the 240v conductors will act as the 120v control feed which connects to the switches in order to pick up the contactors.
    I maybe it would help if call in some professional help at this point, or someone locally to point you in the right direction?
    Al.

Albert E.

I ah 2 electricians come and take a look. The first guy said he could get it running and he quoted me 250. The 2 nd e,ectrician told me he wouldn't work on it. I feel like the 250 is to high.

What do you think on this quote? Do you have any suggestions on another wiring schematic. I was thinking of wiring the pump with an electrical plug for an outlet. Do you think I could wire the elements with a plug?

From what I gather, you have the two 240v feed, if you bring in a neutral you will have 120v 1ph from one of the 240v feeds to neutral and with this pair you feed the neutral to one side of the contactor coils and the live to the switches, from the other side of the switches to the other contactor coils.
    Depending on the pump current you may be able to use a suitable switch for this also.
    You should have a fuse for the 120v circuit depending on total current draw, the contactors take very little.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 5 of 5 345