586,655 active members*
2,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Help, controller is missing software and was home made.

Help, controller is missing software and was home made.

Hi, I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct place, so please let me know if I did. I used to own a 3 axis dynatorch CNC plasma rig that used servo motors and everything needed came in the kit, but lost it in a fire (started in the building next door) I just acquired most of the parts I need from a machine that my work was scraping. I know it was working the last time it was used 2-5 years ago I guess. Its a 3 axis stepper motor system, everything this there, cables, connectors, ect... The problem is that the controller box was made from a kit or build from a schematics because there is no label or names any ware, and the circuit boards are the big generic square type with Prue drilled holes to put what ever you want, were ever you want, and connect everything with pieces of wire. Everything is there power supply, drives, etc... but have no idea what software or drivers windows needs, or port settings, or what port it connects to (printer or serial) back of controller has a printer style end ( bigger size than serial port) I Have everything hooked up but no connection between the two (using printer port on PC not the serial port) is their anyway to find out or any advice. thanks Jon

Can you post some photos of what you have? The more detailed the photos, the better...

If the controller was built to the same specs as other typical DIY CNC rigs, then it would probably need to be connected to a parallel printer port via a straight-through 25-pin cable, and it can be driven by software such as Mach3 (on Windows - a free download trial is available) or EMC2/LinuxCNC (on Linux, free download).