586,670 active members*
3,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

v25 on a Laptop

Anyone running v25 Bodcad on a 64 bit laptop. Need some help on obtaining a laptop. My Dell 1545 crashes every time I run the simulation portion of V25.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JR

Very underpowered ! !

Quote Originally Posted by john robin View Post
    Anyone running v25 Bodcad on a 64 bit laptop. Need some help on obtaining a laptop. My Dell 1545 crashes every time I run the simulation portion of V25.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JR
    JR

Sorry but having had a look at a couple of online reviews of your Dell 1545 I doubt that even with the option Intel Processor (Standard is a sloooow Celeron 2.2Ghz) and the Option ATI Graphics card it would successfully run the BobCAD software, and if you tried to do any size of 3D work it possibly would take a very long time to "crunch" the numbers (If at all ) and then would struggle big time to run the simulation.

It is a very basic "Home" laptop everyday tasks machine but it isn`t by any means a "scientific/industrial" level machine.

Think you need to either go "box" or go for a "double the price" Laptop

Here are the BobCAD reccommended system requirements:

While there will be some no doubt who will jump in to say they can run with a lot less (Used to be able to do that myself!!) going for the list below or BETTER will have you running smoothly and trouble free

Windows (Recommended)

6GB RAM or More on Windows 7 x64 Operating System
    1GB Graphics Adaptor*
    Intel® or AMD® Processors**
    2+GHz Processor (Multi-core)
    Windows 7 x64

Link to BobCAD site for the requirements:

System Requirements | BobCAD-CAM

Link to BobCAD site for the level of "boxes" they sell (Overpriced IMHO ) but specced way higher than what you are trying to use.

Boxx Workstations | BobCAD-CAM

If you havent already got the extra Options in the Laptop then I wouldn`t reccommend that you try to get it upgraded as it won`t be cheap, will probably not be enough, and you will have wasted your money ! !

My spec is :-

Intel i7 CPU 4 x 3.4Ghz cores (3rd generation) that runs as 8 Logical processors (Can be "overclocked to 4.5Ghz per)

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

8 Gb DDR3 RAM (With slots for another 8 Gb)

nVidia Quadro 600 Graphics 1Gb RAM on card

120 Gb SSD (Solid State Drive) that is way faster than a normal HDD

With all that I am still at the lower end of the BobCAD reccommended "Boxes" so maybe this will give you a better idea of what you need to be looking for, one other small point, try to steer clear of machines that are hyped as great "gaming" machines, they don`t do well with CadCAM softwares, the graphics cards are usually not good enough

Hope that hasn`t put you off too much but I will hold my hand up and say I used to try running these type of softwares on lower spec computers and while they did work I never really had the "experience" I would have had with better equipment, nowadays I just "bite the bullet" and and go buy what I should first time around

Oh yes, BTW, Before you or anyone else starts shouting that "other" softwares run fine on your/their machine remember we are only talking about the BobCAD software here and yes, it does appear to require more computer "resources" than some other brands, that can`t be changed so if you want to use it then get the right hardware.

Other softwares can be just the same, for example on one PC I have an Anti Virus software that almost brings the PC to a shuddering halt when a scan is run, yet I have another PC that is a lot lower spec with a different Anti Virus that I can work on fine whe the scan runs.

You "pays your money and you makes your choice" as the saying goes

Regards

Laptop

Thanks Rob for the information. My Dell 1545 share memory with the processor and the on broad video card which Bobcad tech said this is a no no. Min of 1gig for graphic card. I am in the process of getting a desktop to used for my cad. Looking at the a Amd Fx-8150 eight core with a Asus m5a78l-m motherboard. With a separate Graphic card I should be in business but a laptop would be more convenant.

JR

Thanks Rob for the information. My Dell 1545 share memory with the processor and the on broad video card which Bobcad tech said this is a no no. Min of 1gig for graphic card. I am in the process of getting a desktop to used for my cad. Looking at the a Amd Fx-8150 eight core with a Asus m5a78l-m motherboard. With a separate Graphic card I should be in business but a laptop would be more convenant.

JR
    You can do what I do sometimes then. The CadCam is on your 'box' running, but you can connect 'remote control' to the box with your laptop. If you do it with Wifi, speed is actually pretty good. Even when I connect with internet, lag is not that bad. Just a thought so you could still use the laptop you have

remote

Thanks Rob never would have thought about that seems like a good idea. Will try that Thanks again.

JR

Thanks Rob never would have thought about that seems like a good idea. Will try that Thanks again.

JR
    I'm Tony hehe..

remote

My Bad-sorry about that Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    You can do what I do sometimes then. The CadCam is on your 'box' running, but you can connect 'remote control' to the box with your laptop. If you do it with Wifi, speed is actually pretty good. Even when I connect with internet, lag is not that bad. Just a thought so you could still use the laptop you have
    Interesting:idea: