586,287 active members*
4,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Some beginner questions about Mastercam X4

Some beginner questions about Mastercam X4

I started to discover mcx4 few days ago and now I'm having some questions. I'm trying to create G-code for turning. I have to note that I have little bit of previous experience with Keller. Also I have experience with CAD programs so making parts in mcx4 is not much problem for me but the problem is to get G-code out of it.

I have done my first part in mcx4. Firstly, I would like to know where do I discribe the initial workpiece and tell it how much it is between chuck. Then I guess it is time for making toolpaths. I make them on final part, right? I made some toolpaths on it but its not correct because it doesnt know how much it is needed to cut before final part, hence how do I "connect" the initial workpiece and the finished part? And finally, when toolpaths are done, how I get the G-code out of it and can I see 2D/3D simulation?

I'm stuck behind these things right now and I hope there aren't too much questions for 1st post Also all tips/tricks and things to consider doing these steps are very welcome!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8UXM7fABF4]Mastercam-lathe Programming - YouTube[/ame]

Ok that video sucked in so many ways.
    One way to fast the second you can not see allot of the screen info and to make worse the guy is drawing all this extra geo that is not needed and another thought he had a solid and was ready to work.

So please do not look at this and think you have to create all this stuff to get this to work.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

...but the music was good..

Well I agree there.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Just a disclaimer...I didn't make the video...found it on youtube and thought it could help the original poster figure things out on his own. I know nothing about programming lathe work in mastercam and thought this video could be helpful getting through a first part...better then nothing.

I have seen this video, it was very difficult to watch so I didn't finished it and decided to find some other help. And as turned out it was not a bad idea Still, I'm surfing in mastercam and haven't figured things out.

Some basics:

Read Help topics!
    Draw 1/2 of part
    Draw chuck jaw position
    Select Machine Type > Lathe
    In Operation Manager > Machine Group > Properties > Stock Set Up, set up stock and chuck
    Create Toolpaths
    Highlight all toolpaths (Green check marks on folders in Operations Manager)
    Right click > Edit selected operations > Change file name
    Backplot
    Verify

Grooving didnt succeed but I hope I made it somewhere.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Okay, I did little progress and attached new file. Also I tried to make thread - M45x1.5 from the table and lead shows value 16. To be sure, is lead same as thread step (because illustration shows that)? The value should be there 1.5 then, but I tend to guess maybe it is not set up to metric? Where I can check this? Thank you for your help!
    Attached Files Attached Files