586,036 active members*
3,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torch cable fatigue and bend radius

I asked this in my build thread, but then I though it would get better attention here. I have a Hypertherm PM45 with a machine torch.

My cnc cable chain guide rolls at about a 5 to 5 1/2 inch diameter. Here is a pic that shows what it looks like:

I'm worried that this tight radius will shorten the life of my plasma torch cable. I called Hypertherm and they recommend an 8 inch minimum diameter.

Should I worry about this? The fellow at Hypertherm said that if it ran in a manufacturing plant that off course it would wear out faster but in my low-use application I could be OK?

Hypertherm has done extensive testing of the Powermax torch leads....which are a cable/hose assembly that is designed to be both durable and flexible. The tests doen at Hypertherm were on a robotic fixture that flexed and twisted the leads for many hundreds of thousands of cycles.

I would agree with the gentleman you spoke with at Hypertherm. Your leads will probably be ok....but would certainly last longer if the bend diameter stayed within the 8" specification.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
    I asked this in my build thread, but then I though it would get better attention here. I have a Hypertherm PM45 with a machine torch.

My cnc cable chain guide rolls at about a 5 to 5 1/2 inch diameter. Here is a pic that shows what it looks like:

I'm worried that this tight radius will shorten the life of my plasma torch cable. I called Hypertherm and they recommend an 8 inch minimum diameter.

Should I worry about this? The fellow at Hypertherm said that if it ran in a manufacturing plant that off course it would wear out faster but in my low-use application I could be OK?