586,075 active members*
3,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Wiring KL-5020 power supply for 220V

Wiring KL-5020 power supply for 220V

I'm looking or some help wiring a power supply from Keling. It's a KL-5020. I want to wire it 220 single phase. The unit has two red and two black wires. I have one nuetral and 2 hot out of the wall for 220, (110 each line). The documentation says "1st red wire to neutral (white), 1st black wire to 2nd red wire, and the 2nd black wire to hot." None of the red or black wires are labeled 1 or 2, so I assume it doesn't matter. The nuetral is easy, but what about the hots, do they both go to the black, or one, or are the directions incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The toroidal transformer in that power supply has two primary windings.

For hookup to a 110 VAC circuit, you wire the primary windings in parallel (black to black - to hot, red to red - to neutral).

For hookup to a 220 VAC single-phase circuit, you wire the primary windings in series (red 1 to one hot leg of the 220 volt circuit, black 1 to red 2 - to put both windings in series, black 2 to the other hot leg of the 220 volt circuit).

If the primary wires are not marked '1' and '2', then you should use a multimeter to check the resistance between red and black wires (with the power supply not wired up) so that you can find which red wire is connected to which black wire in one pair, which also separates out the second pair - then mark one pair of red and black wires as '1' and the other pair of red and black wires as '2'.