586,061 active members*
4,574 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Another Huanyang VFD question

Another Huanyang VFD question

Due to shortage of funds I opted to go with a Huanyang 3hp VFD this time instead of the usual Hitachi or Teco to power up a metal lathe -- hope somebody can direct me to this solution of getting fwd/rev.

Brief background - this is my 5th vfd (others were Hitachis & Teco) and I have successfully programed them with the few needs I wanted for the operation of a mill or lathe, so Im pretty familiar with setting one up. However this Huanyang has me stumped at trying to get fwd/rev on a remote switch. I have a common on/off/on toggle sw that I will remote to the front of the lathe. I have the center wire going to the 10v terminal, one side going to fwd and the other side going to rev with the parameters on PD001 set for external terminal (which is 1), then I have PD044 & 45 set at 02 & 03 --- nothing...

Can somebody walk me through setting up this external fwd/rev switch please. I can run the vfd through all the other parameter settings - accel time. decel time, etc --- but ....

This is the switch set-up on my mill and I want to duplicate it on the lathe.

Instead of using the 10v (which is used for speed control) use the DCM (digital common) terminal . Did you get a manual with your VFD? there is a sample wiring diagram in there.

OK, just tried the DCM terminal and no joy - still nothing. (that ground symbol messed me up) Should I read voltage from DCM to fwd/rev? - I dont...

Beginning to think I may have to go back to Hitachi...

If it came with the RS485 IC fitted, there is a serial plug in for the Huanyang.
    No PP I/O needed.
    Details on the Mach group.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, forgive the ignorance, but ---- HUH?

You may have noticed this is my first post, I found my way here by googling info on the Huangnang and this place seemed to have the most posts. But as far as knowing anything about CNC... well, none of those terms mean anything. Could you give more detail? (whats the "Mach" group?)

what he is saying is that if you use Mach3 (pc software) for machine control, and your VFD has the rs485 communication chip installed, you can control the vfd from the pc.

to eliminate your switch / wiring as a possible problem. You have shorted DCM to FOR with a jumper wire?
    This should work as long as pd001 is 1, and pd044 is 2.
    Also, this will put the vfd in forward run mode, but the spindle will stay still if the speed control is at 0hz.. You would need pd002 set to 1, and a potentiometer hooked up like in the diagram..

Again, do you have a manual?

Sorry, I forgot to say - yes, I do have the manual - in fact, I find it to actually be a bit more 'readable' than the Hitachi, tho still the terminology can be off putting.

There is no pc or Mach3 hooked up, this is to be a manual run lathe.

Now - as to your suggestion to short DCM to fwd, as I went to do this - this is embarrassing - I apparently had a bad connection as the sw wire came loose much to quickly. Anyway, on jumping the 2 I got fwd motion --- but... I dont have reverse! (reconnecting the toggle, it will also give me fwd, but again, no rev)

Shouldn't I get reverse if I jump from DCM to the rev terminal? I have PD045 set to 03, is this correct? That group of parameters for input/output PD044 thru PD049 is not clear to me with the grouping of all those settings.

Thanks so much for this help - gotta love these forums with all that knowledge that can be tapped into...

pd045 should be 3. Yes.

Unless the 10v damaged something? maybe your loose connection is what saved the FOR input?

Try to set pd044 to 03 and see if DCM -> FOR makes it run reverse.
    If it turns out that pd045 multi-input2 is damaged, you can use any of the other inputs, just reassign the function according to the docs.

PD044 Multi-input 1(FOR function) Factory Setting: 02
    PD045 Multi-input 2(REV function) Factory Setting: 03
    PD046 Multi-input 3(RST function) Factory Setting: 10
    PD047 Multi-input 4(SPH function) Factory Setting: 17
    PD048 Multi-input 5(SPM function) Factory Setting: 18
    PD049 Multi-input 6(SPL function) Factory Setting: 19
    Set Range:00—32 Unit:No
    00: Invalid. The terminal is set for empty to prevent false actions.
    01: RUN Running. It can be combined with other terminals to compose multiple
    control modes.
    02: FOR Forward Rotation
    03: REV Reverse Rotation
    04: STOP Stopping
    05: FOR/REV Switching of FOR/REV rotation
    06: JOG Jogging
    07: Jog FOR Rotation
    08: Jog REV Rotation
    09: Emergent Stop: Emergent stop. It can receive external emergent stop command or other
    fault signals
    10: RST Reset. This terminal can be used for reset after a fault is removed.

Alan,

Great pointers! but, it would seem that I have lost reverse capability - nothing you suggested will activate it, and nothing that I could think of will either. My inexperience probably messed it up. At $115 at least its not sooo bad - I could buy another and still not be as much as a Hitachi, and I like some of the features.

That is disappointing but will only be a minor inconvenience in the operation of the lathe - the other functions that I use are operational. Although I cant figure out how to activate the 'jog' feature - would you have a suggestion on that?

Thanks again...

Bill Pace

Huanyang Plug in
    Huanyang VFD controller plugin
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Before you decide to get a new one, I would switch the parameter back to local mode, and try reverse through the keypad. I found the nomenclature of the manual to be a little deceiving. It took a little time for me to get the 10K pot to actually control the entire range. At first very little movement of the pot made a big change, then nothing. You can use any of the inputs for fwd reverse, so even if you blew that channel, you should be able to make it work on a different one.

Not entirely sure what or how I did it but I have all the functions working now. Mostly seemed to be that I would go back and re-read the parameter settings and see some term that would seem to hint at maybe having to be changed, change it, and sometimes made a difference - sometimes not..

The potentiometer is a bit different from what I'm used to...

Thanks for the help.

Bill Pace

Thought I would add a couple comments now that I have had this Haungyang VFD operating for a couple weeks. As previously noted this application was for a metal lathe in a non-computer useage - but I would imagine there are other folks that will find themselves here for questions other than CNC related applications.

When in the end (thanks to some help here) I had the Huangyang functioning in the modes I wanted, it was very similar to set-up of the Teco and Hitachi units I have used. I say similar, because there are enough differences that you will have to scratch your head a bit - and for the first time users it can be rather intimidating. The terminology used in set-up is probably the biggest problem (was for me) - think of trying to set the time/date etc the first time on your wrist watch or the desk clock (admittedly a little more involved here)

As said, the end result was all I wanted - and the Huangyang was definitely a money saver...

I used the original switch mounting point to locate the box for the 220v on/off toggle, the low voltage on/off/rev toggle, and the potentiometer. I used 1" angle to make up a bracket to hang off the back corner of the lathe for the VFD to mount to - and be out of the way of chips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sheldon finished 001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Before you decide to get a new one, I would switch the parameter back to local mode, and try reverse through the keypad. I found the nomenclature of the manual to be a little deceiving. It took a little time for me to get the 10K pot to actually control the entire range. At first very little movement of the pot made a big change, then nothing. You can use any of the inputs for fwd reverse, so even if you blew that channel, you should be able to make it work on a different one.
    This is where I'm at with my external pot. I have it wired up according to the manual and I've verified that the VIDEO input receives 0 to 10 very throughout the range of knob twisting. However, the frequency goes from 0 to max over the first 0.5 volt or so. I've studied the manual over and over looking for clues but none so far. Any suggestions?