586,545 active members*
3,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First time user

I downloaded the trial version of NC Plot today. Wow, its easier to use than the other backplotters I've tried so far.

I have a suggestion as a new user; when errors are identified, could the line item be highlighted or some other indication to show where the error occurred? I found I kept having to refresh in order to validate the error line when I single stepped through the code.

This software is on my list but as this is a hobby I'll have to add it to the wish list until some cash is available. I'll try and use it as much as I can for the next 15 days!

Bob

Hi Bob,

If you need more time to evaluate NCPlot just send me an email requesting a trial reset key.

Here's a couple of tips that will help you understand what is going on when you backplot a program:

The backplotter will stop plotting at the first error that is encountered. When this happens the line in the program where the error occurred is highlighted.
    The single step tool does not interpret the code as it is stepping, it is merely drawing the backplot that was created when the plot was last refreshed.
    When the "Auto Refresh Viewport" is enabled the backplot will be autmatically updated when edits are made to the program. However, errors are not reported and the plot will stop if an error is encountered.
    It *is* possible to single step while interpreting the code, this is done with the variable display window (Calc/Show Variables). This window is normally used to view macro variables while stepping through a program but it works for any program. When this tool is used to step through a program the code is interpreted and the backplot is created at each step. The drawback is that you cannot step backwards.

Hope this helps!
    Scott

Info

Thanks for the additional information. There is so much to the program that can be useful. right now I'm just using it to validate the G-code and identify any obvious mistakes. Just got done using it this morning, again it works great. It's much easier to use than all the other options I've seen out there so far.

I've put it down on my wish list, my wife just rolled her eyes when I told her my new software purchase plans....

Thanks for offering a very good and easy to use product!

Bob Sweeney

Bob,

Put it on your NEED IT, MUST HAVE IT list.
    Scott has done a really good job on this software.
    It is invaluable for final check before turning on the machine.
    Never had one machine crash if observed with NCPlot first, and fixed the gremlins. Using all expensive solid carbide cutters,in steel, mostly, so exciting $hattering i$$ues are avoided.

Neil
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    Bob,

Put it on your NEED IT, MUST HAVE IT list.
    Scott has done a really good job on this software.
    It is invaluable for final check before turning on the machine.
    Never had one machine crash if observed with NCPlot first, and fixed the gremlins. Using all expensive solid carbide cutters,in steel, mostly, so exciting $hattering i$$ues are avoided.

Neil
    Its definitely on my must have list now. I just need funds for the purchase! I agree its a great program, I've been using it to validate a bunch of parts. I like the interface and it's simplicity.

Bob