586,108 active members*
2,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1MT spindle taper

Hi, ya'll. I'm going to be buying a used D&M4 (Sherline 5000) mill this week and retrofitting it. I'm assuming it comes with the standard sherline #1 Morse taper. I've been looking at tooling for it and apart from the sherline website which can be pricy, tooling seems kind of sparse due to the small size. The kind of stuff i'm wanting to make are very small precision parts like dental tools, but I would like a bit more freedom with accessories. Would you suggest I look into changing out the spindle to an ER16 spindle like the taig?. It seems that R8 is a standard but i don't want to sacrifice any precision.

Does anyone know of a good place that offers 1MT tooling? Thanks so much for any help!

No good answers.

Quote Originally Posted by captianpattson View Post
    Hi, ya'll. I'm going to be buying a used D&M4 (Sherline 5000) mill this week and retrofitting it. I'm assuming it comes with the standard sherline #1 Morse taper. I've been looking at tooling for it and apart from the sherline website which can be pricy, tooling seems kind of sparse due to the small size.
    This is probably true as I seldom see Morse tooling in any size. As far as Morse #1 I don't think I've ever seen any from third party suppliers. At least not in the USA, though you may want to try European suppliers as Morse tooling is more common on the other side of the pound.

The kind of stuff i'm wanting to make are very small precision parts like dental tools, but I would like a bit more freedom with accessories. Would you suggest I look into changing out the spindle to an ER16 spindle like the taig?.
    I wouldn't but that is me. The problem is ER is a collet taper without much support beyond collets and again high priced tooling from Tiag and similar suppliers. ER tapers can be very useful in machines like routers where you don't expect to use a variety of tooling. ER collets might be suitable for what you have in mind but they could end up being a limitation. For example what do you do if you find need for a boring head.
    It seems that R8 is a standard but i don't want to sacrifice any precision.
    It pretty much is the small mill standard in the USA. However I'm not sure where you get the idea that R8 sacrifices precision? The big problem with R8 is that it requires a physically bigger head stock and bearings.
    Does anyone know of a good place that offers 1MT tooling? Thanks so much for any help!
    You might try Micro Mark, but I believe their mill is R8 (can't remember for sure). Beyond that going the MT1 route will likely mean making many DIY solutions. There is nothing bad about that other than the fact that a lathe would help a lot.

Your question is interesting and makes me wonder if Sherline has a forum for such a question. You might also want to look for model making forums.

Lastly, even though this is CNC zone you didn't mention if you intend to CNC the machine. A CNC'ed mill might completely eliminate the need for anything but end mill holders. You say retrofitting but frankly that could mean lots of things.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm going to replace the old on-board computer with a gecko g540 and probably the old motors with some modern steppers. This is my first cnc mill build, I don't have any experiance with benchtop machines, only big production ones, and then I was only an operator.

I appreciate the advice, I'll look into an R8 spindle, but I might just stay with the 1MT for now... I didn't even think to look at the sherline forum. Thanks again!

If you have experience with big production machines, than you will not lucky with such a "childrenstool". I think its better to invest a bit more and get machines like the Sieg X3, Opti BF20 or similiar types. They have Mk2 or Mk3 and much more power and the tools are easier to buy.

You can hold pretty much anything in a ER collet chuck. Just needs a shank. ER IMO are quite accurate and available pretty much anywhere. MT1 is like a key chain sized tool, my dads old servo mill had those. Way too limiting.

How about an MT1 ER 11 set.
    MT1 Collet Set | Novakon
    no way is R8 going to fit a sherline.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

That looks like it might work. Thanks!

Dont buy anything until yuo get the machine, you never know with it being a setup as it is (sold under a different name/company). They may have ordered the mill with a option/special spindle for there needs.

When you do know for sure what size it is its hard to beat ER collects for small tooling. You need to know for sure what size collect holder to get, but when yuo do ER collects will do good.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

ebay has (chinese) mt1 er holders that are pretty reasonable in price , a quick search brought sizes up to er25 for that taper . An er20 would probably be good enough for a small mill , there are er20 13pc sets on there that range from 2mm to 13mm . A holder and a set of collets would be less than 100 bucks .
    I've bought a few (chinese) mt3 er16 holders and collet sets off ebay and they are pretty decent , i think they were roughly 25 apiece after shipping , collet sets were $35

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........