586,043 active members*
3,696 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wink Off Topic, But Hopefully Interesting

Ok, So I have posted questions a few times, but now I will make it interesting so I the question is better communicated, hopefully resulting in some quicker solution than to spend alot of time rewriting code that is so tempting to use as it is existing..

Abstract: People visiting art galleries often talk quetly. On the wall in a darkened portion of a gallery-room, a 6' x 4' apparently blank canvas is hanging on the wall.. Periodically a small snip of words recorded in the room will be written out in my handwriting which seems to magically begin glowing on the canvas. The more communication in the space, the more words will be all over the painting.

How it works: As hidden directional wireless microphones pick up random snipits of conversation, speech to text software outputs a text file every few minutes. This text file is then loaded with a macro into a wordprocessor, formated for the right size, and then output into an HPGL language file in a shared network on an old windows98 machine running QBASIC software which I have adapted from luberth. Instead of being carved or plotted, the 'Z' activates a powerfull UV LED which exposes a UV-sensitive polymer-paint, creating a temporary plot. Ideally I will use a TTF font of my own hand writing. (Http://www.luberth.com/plotter/ditwasplotter.htm)

I have the machine working and drawing. The QBASIC software will be very easy to add a timer, so i just looks in a directory for a file name every X amount of time..

Pictures! and then finally the question. Sorry for writing a short novel!

Question This thing needs HPGL files to run. I have a sample HPGL file from Luberth's web site (http://www.luberth.com/plotter/qbplot01.zip) I am using the simpler, seperate QBplot00.bas QBASIC file. How can I figure out the parameters of the original HPGL file... Language version? Links to sites with technical specifications? I havent been able to find them.? Someone know about this?

In the photos the fabric material which is to be coated with UV-sensitive paint is not present. Just imagine the XY plotter behind a thin translucent fabric barrier.

Thanks anyone who even bothers to read this! Hopefully someone has some hpgl experience! I have asked a few times.. I am sorry.. And, Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UBLOS whole thing.jpg   ublos electronics.jpg   UBLOS carriage.jpg  
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

vacpress - I've been "off-site" for quite a while - but WOW - Once again a VERY KOOL idea. What about lcd projection front or rear? just generate on screen - sort of like an oversize screen saver? A different approach - it might move off the need for hgpl drivers though...
    What a great way to bring performance art into the Gallery!
    Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

How good is this, two of my favorite members in the same thread have come back for a visit. Even better, another vaccy idea to start the thinking process again. This is a nice Christmas present.

I really like this idea, although I think it would look better if the XY axis were at the front of the artwork and not at the rear. This will have greater appeal, and make it look less like a rear projection video.

This art is a play on the cahthode ray tube, where the electron beam is the now the uv light, and the phosphurs are now the UV polymer paint. Fantastic idea. I really hope you work this out.

I can just imagine lots of kids ( me included) wispering obsenities into the mic and then quickly walking away :bat:

Vacpress, I can't help you with the HPGL code, but you might want to contact Bruce Shapiro. http://www.taomc.com/art_machines.htm

It seems to me that you two have alot in common and because he does this stuff professionally, he might be able to help you or give you another solution.

Also, he might have ideas on places where you can display the finished project.

I've never talked to him personally, but he has posted on this forum a couple of times.

Keep up the great ideas and thanks for sharing.
    Trent

you looking for this?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    mhel
    "This is intentionally left blank."

Your concept is intriguing but I have some questions. You mention "powerfull UV LED". How powerful? I assume you have this led scanning behind the screen to write in the phosphorescent polymer paint; having it in front detracts from the mystique. How much UV gets through the screen? I would imagine shining a powerful UV source in your viewers' eyes could be considered less than desirable. Also how good is your speech recognition software? Most speech recognition software requires clear, well annunciated speech, in order to give meaningful text; if you have something that can reliably interpret mingled low volume speech it could have useful application in other areas.

Wow, what an original idea! Could you use a UV reactive plastic for the canvas? I have seen computer cabinet modding with "CCF UV LIGHTING" that makes the plastic glow. Maybe set it up like an etch-a-scetch pull a magnet accross the face depositing iron powder, this may block the UV rays and your words might appear as a darkened area on the canvas. Maybe a fan inside blowing the iron powder so it would be available to all parts of the canvas.

But what a great idea!

Also, I like ynneb's idea of the parts outside.

Personally from an asthetic point of view....a blank screen or wall where stuff appears is more engaging.....it becomes a conversation speech.....the guys wonder how it's done and the women think..."how cute".....well and vice-versa I'm sure.

So are you going with the LCD display or the UV paint and x-y plotter mechanism......see what I mean....

hi. sorry i havent reposted. i am busy trying to learn all the secrets of HPGL and decoding them with QBASIC software! This is going well, incidently...

More pictures soon.. I put a pen holder on it to test it.. It is too loud! Rollerblade bearings on electrical conduit = screaching!

Robert
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info