586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Looking at buying Doosan Puma 2100

Looking at buying Doosan Puma 2100

We are looking at purchasing a Doosan PUMA 2100 Horizontal CNC. Does anyone have any experience they can share about Doosan machines? Pros/Cons? We have older Hardinge machines in shop now. -Thanks

A friend of mine had a Puma chucker and turret crashed (not necessarily the machine's fault).

The factory couldn't get the turret re-aligned with the spindle.... they (the friend) ended up with a very expensive machine that couldn't meet the tolerances required for their work. Not only were they out the lost production time over and above the crash itself, the machine was unproductive while the factory was screwing with it onsite. The factory left, the machine wasn't right.

'Nuff said.

....and speaking of Hardinge, and chuckers... we had an ASM-5C a whole buncha decades ago...and it crashed the turret on a REGULAR basis, and it was Hardinge's fault, plain and simple. The collet would arbitrarily open as the turret would index... sending bar stock into the turret, causing the indexing system to break.

Hardinge's official solution after 6 fixes?? Sell it and buy a new one.
    Ok. We sold it. We never bought another one.

(my temporary fix to get us by until we finally sold it? I went into the electronics and installed a relay triggered by the index signal, the relay locked out the collet open/close circuit.... I'm not electrically literate, and I figured out something that Hardinge, in their ivory tower could not??)

Fizzissist - recommendations?

Do you have a recommendation of a machine that did work well for you/others?

The Seiki machines are good, as are the Haas. I haven't run horizontals (save a few old Cincinnati manual mills) so don't know their idiosyncrasies. Manufacturer wise, those brands are reputable.
    Might be the Doosan horizontal division is better than the turning?

I could come down to the level of sophistication of the jobs you're gonna run on it, how heavy the work is, parts and service for your locale, budget...etc.

I'd post this question down in the machine brand-specific to see what actual owners think.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    The Seiki machines are good, as are the Haas. I haven't run horizontals (save a few old Cincinnati manual mills) so don't know their idiosyncrasies. Manufacturer wise, those brands are reputable.
    Might be the Doosan horizontal division is better than the turning?

I could come down to the level of sophistication of the jobs you're gonna run on it, how heavy the work is, parts and service for your locale, budget...etc.

I'd post this question down in the machine brand-specific to see what actual owners think.
    The Haas machines are good? Not too sure about that one

My shop has a Doosan vertical as well as a doosan puma lathe. The vertical milling machine has a really bad design, because a few times,the operator has dropped a spanner and it gets stuck in the chip conveyer and there is no way to reach it unless you strip the whole screw conveyer and pull it out of the machine. that takes a good hour or 2.

Also when there are too many shavings, the conveyer overloads. this happens frequently in my shop as we normally face off 5mm at a time. So be wary of that when buying a doosan. other than that tho, doosan is not a bad machine.

In terms of horizontal, i would say go for mazak. We have a mazak horizontal in my shop that is 30 years old and still runs like a champion.

I hope I helped somewhat
    Follow me on twitter @GordoHogan or Check out my blog:
    http://cnc-programming-by-gord.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by montie View Post
    The Haas machines are good? Not too sure about that one
    Everybody I know that has a Haas is makin' money, and has bought one or more of 'em. I don't own one, never have, and personally think they're lightweight... but.... people are making money with 'em.
    Bottom line.

Everybody I know that has a Haas is makin' money, and has bought one or more of 'em. I don't own one, never have, and personally think they're lightweight... but.... people are making money with 'em.
    Bottom line.
    I do contract programming. Two of the main companies I work for have been Haas shops. Right now both of them probably will never purchase another Haas. There have been just too many breakdowns and both companies have had serious service issues. They are located in different parts of the country and using different Haas distributors.

Quote Originally Posted by montie View Post
    I do contract programming. Two of the main companies I work for have been Haas shops. Right now both of them probably will never purchase another Haas. There have been just too many breakdowns and both companies have had serious service issues. They are located in different parts of the country and using different Haas distributors.
    Duly noted.

It's input like yours (.. and maybe mine) that will hopefully keep companies accountable.

Now, the question is who would you recommend..??

Duly noted.

It's input like yours (.. and maybe mine) that will hopefully keep companies accountable.

Now, the question is who would you recommend..??
    Basically the other machines I am familiar with are Okumas and Moris and there seems to be difference in how hard we can run them and reliability compared to Haas. That said I realize Haas has helped a lot of small shops get started.

I'm guessing by the model number, your looking at a lathe, not a horizontal mill...

We have an old Doosan, been fine for the most part. We also have Okumas and Mori's. There is a definite difference in the quality of parts used on the higher end machines. Nuff said.

It depends on machine type, budget & type of machining. As best I know, a Puma 2100 is a horizontal turning machine rather than machining center. This post has VMC's, HMC's, VTL's & HTL's all referenced in some fashion by my interpretation. Leaving Haas out, if you're looking for turning machines I'd look at;

Okuma, Mori, Mazak, Doosan

Milling machines woul be;

Okuma, Mori, Mazak, Makino, Doosan, Kitamura, Toyoda, etc................

Price points will vary. Okuma, Mori, Makino, Toyoda, & Kit will be more than Doosan & Mazak. Mazak & Mori will have the best selection in the turning sector & will have the most complete product offering overall. There are many variables as to specific turning machine type. We bought a Mazak Integrex J300 (Y,B,C axis) machine a year ago over Okuma, Mori & Doosan. So far, so good. We're happy with it & I think that was the correct decision (for our work). The Mori competitor was more $, more rigid & better suited to longer tool cycles & heavier milling than the Mazak. But it would have been slower (tool preloads) & somewhat overkill on our parts. If you look at straight turning or even turret style machines with live tooling, there are a lot more MTB's to choose from.

As far as machining centers, if $ did not enter the justification process, I'd only have to call Makino & say this is what I want. That doesn't mean they are the most expensive. It simply means that the track record they've established with us regarding machine performance, reliability, parts & service, & responsiveness (all the after sale proof in the pudding) has been nothing short of outstanding. (We only have 2 & are not a big customer). I wish they built mill/turn equipment also, but they don't. As you can tell, I'm a BIG fan of Makino & so is everyone here who deals with the machines (especially Maintenance), & yes we do have Mazaks, Okumas, & a Mori.

My $.02 (from experience)
    Haas-lightweight, accurate, decent price
    Mori-very heavy duty,very accurate, very pricy
    Doosan-heavy duty, very accurate, reasonably priced
    Hardinge-medium duty, extremely accurate, very pricy

Hope this helps.

CNC Sheet Metal Cutting And Fabrication

Precision Sheet Metal Works Private Ltd. vision is to create technologically advanced one stop solution for well finished CNC punched precision sheet metal components, cabinets & assemblies.

For more details
    CNC Sheet Metal Cutting And Fabrication, Aluminum Fabricators Manufacturers, Sheet Metal Components Exporters, CNC Fabricators Bangalore India.