586,069 active members*
3,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport GX1000 OSP is this the right forum?

Bridgeport GX1000 OSP is this the right forum?

I just got a Bridgeport GX1000 OSP a few months ago. Am I in the right place? There doesn't seem to be much out there on this machine, anyone else have one?

What about the Fanuc version, anyone have one of those?

bueller.......bueller.......bueller.......

I think I are going to be signing a deal to get one within a few weeks. How is your working out?

It's been working fine. I only had one issue so far the rotary coupling started leaking. That was because the drain line wasn't attached to anything and it moved so the end of the line was above the rotary coupling and it couldn't drain anymore. Otherwise no problems. The door lock switch is a pita, and it's hard to recover the toolchanger if it gets interupted during a toolchange. Okuma's are normally servo driven with an absolute encoder so recovery is easy but this one isn't servo driven so it's a little more "fun" if you have to recover it.

Thanks for the reply. The coupler issue did not cause any spindle bearing contamination right? What kind of materials do you usually run? We will be running aluminum. I should be putting the order in this week, I can't wait!

No spindle bearing issues I know about. We caught the leak right away. There was a little coolant on the top of the drawbar but none near the spindle bearings.

I cut mild steel, aluminum, and copper in my machine. Seems to perform pretty good so far.

Good machine, good price, just remember, it's not an Okuma.
    OSP- check,
    Okuma encoders- check
    Okuma servos- check
    Okuma name plate- not check

To be fair, I like these machines and can say the Fanuc control machine would make you cry.
    And wish you'd bought the OSP.

Only complaint I have involves coolant ports but no locline ports, which there's an easy fix to, and probing integration isn't as, simple, as an Okuma.

For the price, it's one hell of a machine. The GHM group got this right.

I personally love the Genos/MB style Okuma vmc, but if I had a small shop, this would be a no brainier.

Who is your distributor?

Re: Bridgeport GX1000 OSP is this the right forum?

I have the GX1000 with the Okuma controls and it works great. I have used it nearly every day for 1.5 years. I was cleaning out chips this week-end and it leads to a question. Under the sliding door on the machine. there is a painted plate that sits on top of the stainless way cover over the vee section. On my machine, the painted plate has a ~1/8" gap over the stainless cover. It is adjustable via slotted screw holes. It appeared that chips are getting behind the plate. After removing the painted plate and disconnecting the cover at the bed end, I saw about 5 pounds of chips in two casting pockets. After some vacuuming and scraping with a plastic scraper, the 1.5 year old chip cake was removed. When I replaced the painted cover, I wondered if that gap was purposeful. If so, I need to remove it once a year, clean the pockets and inspect the three rails and ball screw. The gap may have a purpose to prevent the front telescopic cover section from impacting chips against painted plate. If you have a GX1000, please look under the sliding door rail and comment on any gap size you see.

Thank you.