586,065 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Resurrecting an Isel CPM 3020

Folks,
    Friend of mine acquired a vintage Isel CPM 3020, complete with equally vintage PC and (good news) a bunch of tooling. He's an expert woodworker, but not a geek. I'm trying to fill in there :-) System is operational; one of his employees succeeded in running some test ops. Goal is to update the system to a practical 3D CAM solution.

I suspect the software is the original floppy-based DOS apps. Handwritten instructions from the previous owner give the following steps (typos likely since his handwriting is hard to read), abbreviated here:
    1. AutoCAD --> dxf file
    2. Sheetcam --> iso file
    3. Owein --> ncp file
    4. Kay 3D --> <machining operations>

I have the Isel CPM 4030/3020/2018 Operating and Maintenance Instruction manual, 28 pages.

My next step is to spend some time with the system and run through the above sequence, and do a complete hw/sw inventory. Some questions:

1. What should I look for in my inventory?
    2. Other online docs I should have?
    3. Although the hw is 3D, I suspect the current software is limited to 2D or 2 1/2 D. Correct?
    4. I suspect we'll want to trash the PC and replace the sw. General recommendations, especially for an open source 3D CAM toolchain to drive the hw? (Note: I've already got 3D CAD options, including Autodesk 123d beta and Fusion TP, Blender, etc.)
    4. Does the current hardware handle G-code? (From browsing this forum, I gather that replacing the controller hw might be an option to consider. recommendations?)
    5. Has anyone added an Isel or DIY rotary table 4th D?

For purposes of answering this set of questions, you can presume that I'm a competent CAD user, programmer (Windows, Linux, Mac, and embedded systems), and hardware engineer (designing and building wearable LPRF sensors, as well as a 3D printer of my own design). At least I know where to go to get answers to questions on these topics :-)

TIA,

Mike

If my recollection this is not a controller which will handle gcode. I could be wrong, I assume this is a stepper system, in which case, there are many options, the least expensive option is the linixcnc controller, it is freeware, next mach 3 it will cost under $200 if you can isolate the cpm to run simply as step and direction, you can probably make it work, if not a powersupply and choice of step/direction drives such as gekko drive should get you going, there are many ways to go just figure out how easy you want it to be and what your idea of performance is. Have fun.

Hi Mike,

My Isel CPM 3020 is working very well, because facts you've to know:

CPM 3020 is not 10 per axis => 4 on each axe is the right number

Look for GALAAD / Integrated CAD-CAM-CNC software for Windows => best Software to use your ISEL CPM Series

oh sorry here are more informations:

better manuals:

engl. manual for cpm series ( not ony 28 pages) :cheers:

Bedienungsanleitungen / Manuals isel

www.galaad.net/machines-eng.html‎

http://axemotion.com/includes/langua...umentation.pdf

www.spline.nl >> machines >> CPM (CNC milling)