586,075 active members*
4,145 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Best free CAM program to cut 2D files on 3D objects?
Page 1 of 2 12

Best free CAM program to cut 2D files on 3D objects?

I'm looking for the best CAM program to cut 2D files on a 3D objects such as a block of wood.
    I know some CAM programs would consider 2D kind of like a pencil plotter and do not have depth support.

I would like the CAM program to have cutter compensation features as well.

I've heard of Cut3D and Cut2D and it seems to impress me the most out of all other programs for 3-Axis CNC cutting because the user interface looks so user-friendly and simple and it's very stable according to reviews. But it's $150 .

I've already invested quite some money for CNC and would like to try a free program to see which one impresses me most, but would also like input on which ones are the best.

I've heard of:
    PyCAM
    Freemill
    CamBam Free
    PartKAM (2.5D)

Anything good out of those? Anything better that is not in that list?

My advice to you would be to use CamBam - as there are 40 free (totally unrestricted) trials before g-code is limited to ~ 500 lines and then buy it.

It'll do 2d/3d stuff and I think will be the best $149 you could spend on CAM software.

Martin.

Double post removed.

I'm using CamBam. I've not used the others, so this is not a comparison. I'm still using up my 40 free goes - this is a generous allowance and is letting me give it a really good try out before spending money.

I started off not liking it, but I'm getting to grips with it now and each time it takes me less time than the last to finish the job.

I shall be putting up my money soon - it seems teriffic value.

Here's an example of a 3d job completed with CamBam and posted on the forum today. Subaru sump pan.

Martin.

How long is each trial for CamBam?

I was fascinated by Cut2D/Cut3D which sot $150/$300.
    They look like the simplest and well developed CAM programs, but has anyone tried it to give feedback?
    Probably not a lot of people tried it due to the higher value it costs than the others.

I would guess that a large majority of the members here that have built routers are using Vectric software/ There are probably more V-Care Pro and Aspire users than Cut2D users. And those that do start with Cut2D, seem to eventually upgrade to at least V-Carve Pro.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Okay, well I will give CamBam a try when I finished building my machine.
    How long is each trial for CamBam?

Learned that 1 trial is 1 use. Hmm, not many uses until I need to buy it.

What's your favorite free software aside from CamBam?

How do these compare:
    PyCAM
    FreeMill
    PartKAM (2.5D)

All of them are equally good free software, so why don't you just get them all?

Martin.

I find it easiest to just use 1 software and stick with it.
    While I'm not going to be cutting absolute 3D just yet, I might cut shapes in 3D. That would be for example a circle or a rectangle on a 1/2" thick piece of material. The G-Code would have to then cut in 3D even for a simple shape.

I'm looking for software that can do that without hassle and is simple.
    Right now I am trying PyCAM (it supports multicore processing), but will see if the others would be easier to use.

For 3D, I don't know what I would use.

FreeMill I read a couple of people use it, haven't heard that many use PartKam or PyCAM on this forum so it would be difficult to compare and I guess I would have to try them myself to get a comparison.

Have you considered why nobody has come forward (as yet) to recommend any free CAM software?

Martin.

Most use paid, but then again I have a tight budget and am rather new to CNC. And for now I only need to route simple objects on MDF wood.

I'm using CamBam pro which is free up to 40 uses. I've not used up all 40 trials yet. So far, I've only processed 2.5 D and not 3D.
    I'm using FreeMill, if I cut a model in a single path (wax or styrofoam). It cuts in a x, y or both grid, but not in a vector path. Else, it is very fast and easy to use.
    Pycam appears to be very usable, I'll try next.

I have seen 1 user use PartKAM to cut out 2.5D.

By vector path do you mean it cannot cut in 2.5D? As in the way I described cutting a rectangle on 1/2" thick material, that requires a vector path right?
    Sorry I don't know what vector means exactly.
    If freemill cannot cut 2.5D, I guess I will take that out of the list.

Now I guess I will try both PartKAM and PyCAM.

2D CAM packages all do 2 1/2D. They would be utterly useless if they didn't support the Z axis. The thing they wont do is move all 3 axis' at the same time while cutting. That's what 3D CAM is for.

If you use Solidworks, get HSMExpress. By far the most advanced FREE 2D CAM processor available. Then start saving up your pennies cause the 3D version is about 9k...so I hear.

If your projects are simple, why don't you just hand code? Can't get much cheaper than that and it's a good idea to have a passing knowledge of G-code before using CAM software anyway, especially if this is all new to you.

If you insist on starting with CAM software, spend the time to run through trials of the ones that appeal to you most. That way you can see which features you want, which user interface appeals most to you, and which one gives the best result.

Mike

I hand coded a part before, took rather long, but at least I know the basics.
    So I think now is the right time to find CAM software.

Quote Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
    I hand coded a part before, took rather long, but at least I know the basics.
    So I think now is the right time to find CAM software.
    Take a look here.
    All you need is a Free CAD program and 2.5 DXF to gcode converter.
    CNC Programming Software Tools

Look interesting. I already have a CAD program called AutoCAD, all I need is a G-Code converter for 2.5D, I will take a look at what you have suggested if it's free.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12