586,636 active members*
2,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation bridge rectifier

Hi everybody

I need help in selecting the right bridge rectifier and other components to drive my three 170VDC servo motors @ 9 amps each.

I was thinking to use 5KVA transformer which will give 120vAC at the secondary coil. I need to convert this 120vAC to 170vDC. What kind of bridge rectifier I should be looking for. Then I need to select the right transformer to store 170vDC (@ 27 amps). Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Onkar singh

Bridge rectifiers do not go up that much in price for the larger values so go with something like a GBPC3504W 400V at 35 amps.
    For the transformers look up Hammond, for a 240/120 or 120/120, I would think you could go with a 4 kva at 60% duty cycle as you are probabally not going to see maximum power on all three motors for any extended time.
    You will also need a electrolytic capacitor bank for 5% ripple at that voltage/current around 10,000µfd.
    Some amplifier manufacturers recommend grounding the motor negative, if you do, do not ground the secondary of the transformer.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al
    Regarding the capacitor. Do i need 170v 10,000 ufd? Where can I find it? Any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Onkar singh

Go with 250~200vdc minimum, they are not cheap at that voltage, Electrosonic in Canada is one source, You may have to parallel a couple of 5,400µfd. Or ebay may be another alternative.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hello, The rutex website, (rutex.com) has a paper that you can download regarding power supply/servo motor matching that will point you in the right direction for proper sizing of transformer etc. I purchased the bridge rectifiers for my power supply on EBAY for $9.00 each (40 amp @ 500 volt) and actually I have a few left if you need one or can't find them on ebay. I got my capacitors from a fellow CNC builder, so I cant help you there. 5 kva sound a bit big because I doubt you will be running all (3) axis full tilt for extended moves at the same time. Good Luck!!