586,540 active members*
2,990 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > masters program, what field?

masters program, what field?

I would like some opinions on masters programs. The question is what field to go into. I currently have a B.A in Computer Science and work in that field but would like to branch out a bit. I have been out of school for about 5 years.

These are the following programs:
    Electrical Engineering
    Research in computational intelligence, robotic control, solid state devices, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), micro/nano sensors, micro/nano scale imaging, wireless implantable biosensors, surgical robotics and simulation, and CMOS and mixed-signal integrated circuit design.

Systems and Control Engineering
    Research in non-linear control, optimization, signal processing, global modeling, and systems biology.

Computer Engineering
    Research in VLSI design, programmable logic, computer architectures, embedded systems, design for testability, and reconfigurable processors.

Computer Science
    Research in bioinformatics, computational neuroscience, databases, software engineering, data mining and visualization, and pervasive networks and distributed systems.

I have had several people tell me to go into the EE field, which combined with my CS knowledge would be very beneficial. However EE is the one that I have the least experience with, only took one undergraduate electronics course. Not sure if I would have to start over. But I would be certainly interested in learning.

Systems and controls Engineering also sounds interesting. But I am a bit unclear on what exactily it entails.

As far as the Computer Science program, I don't really want to get into theoretical type stuff. I feel I have a good handle on most of the practical stuff. Would like to take a graphics course though.

Not interested in the CE program.

So if I could hear some pro and cons of each field, I would appreciate it.

Jim.

Get a BSEE. With dual degrees you can get a job with the major players.

My nephew graduated with dual degrees in Electrical Engineering and computer science from NC State University. He now designs hardware and writes the software for the hardware. He has been with Cisco for about 4 years.

You can practically name your own salary with experience.

Jerry

thanks Jerry, EE is what I really would like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    thanks Jerry, EE is what I really would like to do.
    Any of the above fields has it's very basic beginning in electrical engineering. I have worked in systems and control engineering and also computer design, and a solid EE background is a necessity in both these fields.

Also, with an EE degree you could branch out into communications, lasers, and almost any other field.

Jerry