586,102 active members*
2,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DB9 pinout diagram standard?

Which way does the drawing assume the plug is pointing?

photo 1 or 2?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails db91.JPG   db92.JPG  

Dave,
    It is from the "working end"...the pin side not the wire side..

So that would be photo #2.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ward saves the day again.

Thanks.

Dave

Is this some form of a contest

This link looks easier to understand in regards to the numbering orientation, yours seems confusing.

http://www.nullmodem.com/DB-9.htm

Yes,
    Ken's url points out that the female vs male's orientation vs pin number. For example you can put a pc mount DB9M in a DB9F spot, but when you look at the pin numbers you go "huh?"
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

My diagram is for a female. So Ward is wrong?....say it ain't so.

Nah, OK I think I get it.

The majority of D connectors have numbered pins, albeit very small
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Figures mine would not have them. I bought some cheap bulk plugs at Fry's.

Before I got bifocals I thought they stopped putting the numbers on there too. I don't think I have ever seen any without numbers, and I recently got some cheap no-name import crap from a surplus dealer. You know they're crummy if the Chinese company that made them doesn't claim them.

051221-0949 EST USA

nervis1:

Your "Photo-Drg 2" photo shows the pin side of a male connector. The lower left pin of that connector is pin 1. The top left pin is pin 5. Lower right is 6, and top right is 9.

Obviously female connectors have the number positions reversed.

The Photo-Drgs are very confusing.

If the drawing in "Photo-Drg 2" is intended to indicate the numbering as viewed toward the pins, rather than the rear (solder or wire side), then the drawing is wrong. The drawing here shows the pin positions of a male connector as viewed from the rear, or a female viewed from the front. The title may indicate female, but the photo is a male looking toward the pins.

What is the photo in "Photo-Drg 1". Initially I thought it was the front of a female connector. But more likely it is the rear side of a male or female connector showing the solder cup end of the pins.

Both photos have at the top DB-9 Fem, then the title is cut off. Clearly #2 is not a female in the photo.

In the future use AMP connectors or some other quality manufacturer. Use contacts with 50 millionths gold over nickel. There is a big difference between cheap and quality connectors. Contact force is an important factor. AMP crimp type contacts are very easy to terminate, but the crimping tool is very expensive.

Looking at photo 1 the magnitude of the crimp around the plastic indicates that this photo is the rear side of a DB9, solder terminal side.

Sorry Dave I missed the fact that the diagram was for a female and you had a male conector..

Speedy posting I guess...Hope it didn't cause you any problems..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Nope my fault for not noticing even though it was right in my face.

I actually got the PC and machine talking, got about half way through a program download and everything froze, got a "disk error". This is tricky. I must have the cable right though or else they would not communicate at all. I figure it must be a software thing at this point, still working on it.....bang head against wall some more. :tired: