586,089 active members*
3,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Plasma table in home basement???

Hello all! I've put together my Procut CNC 3x3 table w/ water table and I've setup my G540 and PC and I'm learning the Mach3 and BobCAD software.

The debate still remains on where to locate the table. It's currently in the basement just for testing/learning purposes (no cutting taking place). But I am considering setting up shop down there.

Here are my options:
    1. In the basement (15' x 16'), closed in with large CFM exhaust fan for good negative press (dust and fume control). Sealed off with insulation and plastic. The compressor would be in the garage. The corner where the table would go is surrounded by concrete walls. I have a water table as well.

2. Build a shop (12' x 20'), wood floor on slab (slab preferred). Insulated for all season use. Significantly more costly than setting up shop in basement.

Concerns:
    My biggest concern with the basement are safety hazards like fire and fumes. I have a baby girl and wife and clearly want no harm or discomfort to them. That is paramount.

Basement safety countermeasures:

My idea for making the basement a safe place to operate is good ventilation out the side of the house, and sealing off the basement with insulation and 4 mil plastic sheet.

My big questions:
    How many of you are operating plasma cutters (CNC or not) in your basement safely? And what issues/concerns arise from doing so? Smell? Noise?

Note:

I will be cutting aluminum 90% of the time and have a water table. I know this raises concerns of hydrogen gases and other fumes, perhaps?

I would NEVER run a plasma table in my basement. The fire hazzard alone is enough to make that thought leave your head forever and forget you ever thought about it. Whats wrong with the garage your compressor is going to be in?

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Teknition View Post
    ...Whats wrong with the garage your compressor is going to be in?

Brad
    That space in occupied by two cars that have no business outside. Plus, I have no mud room; no buffer for dirt and dust between my house and the shop. But there is a little cubby hole off to the side that is perfect for an air compressor.

Times 2 what tek said. It's too unpredictable. A hard pierce while your back is turned and a rag can catch fire or who knows what. I have a full shop in our basement but would not consider a cnc plasma cutter simply because of the loved ones.

I have a paragon oven in the basement and a couple of years ago a friend and myself were heat treating some long blades and oil quenching, My oil bath did not have enough oil to submerge the blade and had a flash with LOTS of smoke (I fit check first now). The smoke headed straight for the staircase like a funnel and out into the first floor of the house. Boy, did I get in trouble LOL.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    Times 2 what tek said. It's too unpredictable. A hard pierce while your back is turned and a rag can catch fire or who knows what. I have a full shop in our basement but would not consider a cnc plasma cutter simply because of the loved ones.

I have a paragon oven in the basement and a couple of years ago a friend and myself were heat treating some long blades and oil quenching, My oil bath did not have enough oil to submerge the blade and had a flash with LOTS of smoke (I fit check first now). The smoke headed straight for the staircase like a funnel and out into the first floor of the house. Boy, did I get in trouble LOL.

WSS
    Yikes! I bet you did get in trouble, haha...

Now, since the shop is clearly the better choice of the two, what sort of precautions should I take to make it safer?

Just go around and make sure there isnt stuff laying around thats a fire hazzard ie: rags, gas cans, paint thinner, parts washer left open. Fire resistant covering on the walls is a good idea. I have drywall on mine but I would prefer to have a metal cladding in the area the plasma operates in. A fire extinguisher in the shop is always a good idea as well. Just stand in the garage, look around, and think about what could catch fire if there was a shower of sparks that flew off the table.

Brad

I operate my table in the basement but my machine is different from most. It has a downdraft system and a water table. I get virtually no smoke or dust from the machine, it's all exhausted outside through a duct. This will not be possible with yours.

Even as clean as my machine is, I've still added several other things to help make it cleaner. I have shields in back of and on each side of the torch to knock down sparks. On the fourth side, I have a flip up shield which comes into play when the torch is at the far end of the table. I keep a 10' area around the machine clear except for the plasma cutter (which is covered).

I also have a 42" tube fan which I can put in the doorway to exhaust outside. Just remember that you have to cover the entire doorway ( i use a tarp that I've cut to fit the fan and doorway) or the backdraft will suck everything back in. If you do use a large fan, make sure you have a adequate air supply (windows) or the fan will suck in air from the house.

I've seen machines with an exhaust hood over the table which seemed to work pretty good. This was a fairly expensive setup but you should be able to build one out of wood and heavy plastic sheeting. Should remove most of the remaining smoke and dust.

Willy

In addition to what's already been said, material handling is a concern no matter where your table is located, but if there are stairs involved that would suck a LOT. You said you cut aluminum mostly, but you still don't want to carry that crap downstairs. Steel is heavy, full sheets of anything are bulky....I try to lift as little as possible, and use my shop crane for everything I can.
    Carl

You would need a totally separate air system for a plasma room in your basement. You would need to bring in air, and exhaust the air from the room or your whole house would be covered in brown dust.

Fire hazard? Maybe if you were dumb enough to leave flammable materials around the table, but it wouldn't be my biggest concern.

Yeah, carrying material up and down stairs would also suck.

I don't think it's a good idea.

You don't have to be dumb to have fire hazards. I have a four year old who likes to be in the "big" shop, I cannot tell you how many McDonalds french fry bags I have had to stomp out. How about POs on paper or work orders and few sparks, my personal favorite is me, when a spark hits a fold in my jeans or a rag in your back pocket, I look like donkey on Shrek running around w/ my tail on fire. There is just too many variables to keep up with.

The dust thing is incredible, even if you catch 99% of it the remaining dust will get EVERYWHERE, shoes can carry that black/brown stuff a long way. You will not be thanked for it.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Basement + plasma cutter = bad idea. Roger that.

I've got a few quotes on building shops next to the house. I'll pull the trigger on one of them here in the next couple weeks. I'm inclined to go with a slab in case I get a bridgeport or the like.

Thanks for the input all. My wife is very happy to hear I'm no longer considering the plasma cutter in the basement. She already didn't like the grinding noise/dust.