586,082 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD Feature Requests and Ideas

Lightbulb BobCAD Feature Requests and Ideas

Hi all,
    Wanted to start this thread so we the users can pass along ideas to BobCAD and do a little brainstorming as well. After all, who better to suggest ideas, etc than us the users of the software. I know these things can be sent to BobCAD, but doing it this way lets others see what is already been suggested or thought about. Please don't turn this into a bashing thread, keep it constructive. I enjoy working with BobCAD and think it does a lot, but also think there's always room for improvement and want to help them make this the best CAM software it can be. That being said, I have a request. Asked a couple times but never got real reply.

Can BobCAD be made to open Autodesk Inventor Files sometime soon? We, as well as a lot of our customers, use this software. My answer back has always been, "Save the file in a different format". Well frankly, that's not always simple. We are an OEM, making custom machines and automation. One project can have several hundred drawings/details. Having to ask engineering to open a file, and then re-save it as something I can use gets to be a bit tiring for everyone. Would be better if I could just open a solid made with Inventor. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

My two biggest customers used to use Inventor so it was a big deal for me too. One of them had a guy who's sole job was to deal with people like me needing file conversions and updated prints. It was their policy that I was to update my files every time I got an order. They never kept the STEP files (my preferred format) so I would have to ask them for a new one every time I ran the job.

Maybe that was why they both switched to SolidWorks? I'm sure they had other reasons but I wonder. I used to bug the hell out of that guy. Not much a problem now but it would still be nice to open them considering the popularity of Inventor.

Oh, and I'll make a request of my own.

Let's get THIS turned on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V25-TRUMILL.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    My two biggest customers used to use Inventor so it was a big deal for me too. One of them had a guy who's sole job was to deal with people like me needing file conversions and updated prints. It was their policy that I was to update my files every time I got an order. They never kept the STEP files (my preferred format) so I would have to ask them for a new one every time I ran the job.

Maybe that was why they both switched to SolidWorks? I'm sure they had other reasons but I wonder. I used to bug the hell out of that guy. Not much a problem now but it would still be nice to open them considering the popularity of Inventor.
    Yeah, I can relate to that. But as far as our company, and many others that we deal with who are using Inventor, we all have no desire to switch to Solidworks. We have our reasons, and prefer Inventor. So yes, being able to open the files with BobCAD would be a HUGE plus. I don't think BobCAD realizes how many people actually use Inventor.

SBCycle

Quote: (Let's get THIS turned on! )

i think we already have it, it's called adaptive roughing
    i have been wrong before

youtube truemill
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_HdYqzT9k&feature=endscreen&NR=1"]TrueMill - 1018- YouTube[/ame]

Have lots,but will post my number1 High Speed Pocketing.That in itself will save more time and make machining more easier and enjoyable than the next 10 choices combined.

Inventor Files..

The problem is that the Inventor format is not an open format that we can bring in.. We would love to if we could , some companies like Solidworks make it much easier for developers to integrate, they share information and have api's and a program for such development. Autodesk is much more about proprietary content, there are companies that provide such imports that could be implemented however the cost impact that it would add to the BobCAD-CAM software is not in-line with us providing an affordable product at this time. If anything changes in the future Im sure we will provide a solution.

Adaptive roughing and High speed machining.

dwood Is correct , the adaptive roughing is a high-speed toolpath. The TrueMill that you see is still under development , and will be offered at some point.

Feature Requests..

While CNC zone is a great place to discuss these things, if there is something you want to see in the BobCAD software the best way to communicate these things to us...
    You can submit your requests here...
    Report | BobCAD-CAM
    This goes directly to the project manager and to the support team here at BobCAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sowen View Post
    Feature Requests..

While CNC zone is a great place to discuss these things, if there is something you want to see in the BobCAD software the best way to communicate these things to us...
    You can submit your requests here...
    Report | BobCAD-CAM
    This goes directly to the project manager and to the support team here at BobCAD.
    I agree, and they will be sent in. Just thought its a good idea for us to talk over things here, that way everyone see's what's going on. Sending in an idea does not always give us feedback or let people know what was already talked about. If there was a place on Bobcads forums to do this it would be helpful, but from what I've seen, there are more users here on Bobcad forum than the forum at the Bobcad site. Same thing with bugs/issues. If there was a place to see what was already reported or what's being worked on, would save time trying to report things. Like a bug report/feature request forum. Just trying to help out

Lightbulb Thread Milling

I have seen that the thread milling section of BobCAD could use some tweaking. A lot of other users here seem to think the same, so I'm starting this thread. Ideas:

1- Allow users to select multiple holes for thread milling instead of setting up a feature for each hole.

2- Allow for multiple passes in a feature. A lot of threads are not cut in a single pass. You could ask user for input on starting and ending diameter, and how much to cut in each pass.

3- PLEASE allow for TAPER threads. Very difficult to cut taper pipe threads without asking for an angle. For example: My machine does taper threads, all it asks for is is what I mentioned above. Starting diameter, ending diameter, starting depth, ending depth, and degree of wall angle.

I'm sure others have something to add to this particular thread. So please do add to it When we get good ideas on here, I can copy them and forward to Bobcam feature request people. So lets get all the thoughts in here on a particular request so we send them a complete idea

Tool Comp in all mill tools

I think I sent in a request on this, but wanted to see what else you guys do.

I have removed a lot of the 2 thru 4 tools in one dialog. (For example, pick drill 2D hole, it auto chooses center drill, drill, chamfer tool. I only want drill). So I turned off most of the multi tool dialogs. Problem is, when milling pretty much ANYTHING, there is no way to control tool comp on a rough mill. (Why?). In 'mill 2D pocket' it chooses a rough mill and finish mill. You can only set comp on the finisher?? What exactly does it do with the rougher?

I have a job now where I have a triangular pocket to cut, with a radius at the bottom corner. (Using ball mill). Having a hell of a time getting it to work. Only way I've got it to work is set the tool to like a .005"-.010" diameter and then have it follow the pockets lines. Or I have to draw a compensated tool path on drawing. Would be so much easier if I could just turn comp on or off with the milling cutter.

What do you guys do in this case, pretty much the same thing?

If so, can we please ask BobCAD to add tool comp to all mill operations? I don't think that's out of the question. I would really like to be able to control all the tools I use, how about you?

""Or I have to draw a compensated tool path on drawing.""

YUP

With that said , how big of pocket ?And how big of chamfer ?

The reason I ask is in this particular situation with a triangle you will leave artifacts near each corner.It is impossible to get rid of if using a ball for the perimeter and a flat for the rest.

If this is what your doing,is this more for show , than go.See attached pic.This in this example is purely cosmetic.If this is a result you would like ,let me know,we will get into it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006.jpg   motor mount.JPG  

Please add a dedicated a Boring Cycle to the V2 Lathe Package

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    ""Or I have to draw a compensated tool path on drawing.""

YUP

With that said , how big of pocket ?And how big of chamfer ?

The reason I ask is in this particular situation with a triangle you will leave artifacts near each corner.It is impossible to get rid of if using a ball for the perimeter and a flat for the rest.

If this is what your doing,is this more for show , than go.See attached pic.This in this example is purely cosmetic.If this is a result you would like ,let me know,we will get into it.
    Thanks JR. I knew what you meant I didn't have to worry about corners on this one as I was basically doing a triangular slot and just made it a pocket on screen so I could clear out the center. Then I just picked a standard mill, not ball mill. I set the tool diameter to .001" and just had it follow the lines Worked out good, thanks