586,103 active members*
3,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RS232 program block by block

Hi i have an old emco machine. And it's now working perfect. My problem is the program size. I use edgecam to generate code. And max program size my CNC machine accept is 13 Kb. thats nothing:-(
    I know that some one have used a similar machine as mine. they used a program called Jær-komm (norwegian company). This program transfered blocks to the mahcine while machining. So they had no program limit. They used it as a demo machine for 3D machining. The computer just sendt the program step by step. throug RS232. Do anyone here have a program that do this? And how do you set up your machine to recive data this way?

For the most part its called DNC or drip feeding. It transfers the amount your buffer at the control can handle, not necessarily block by block (although it may appear so if thats your resolution or rate of data transfer). If you google for DNC software, many of them have trial versions you can get free and I've even come across some that are just plain free.

Setting up the machine to do this isn't hard. I'm not familiar with Emco though so I'm not sure what you'll need or actions to take. I know that on a lot of controllers though, DNC is an option. If you have the manuals for the machine, look into it for DNC file transfers and it should explain the process in there.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Try Cadem the do not show Emco but they are very helpfull, they have a free DNC Pgm.
    http://www.cadem.com/ncnet/ncnet_dncdetails-4.htm
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks folks. DNC program is what i need. the free Cadem program could not do drip feed. And I think this is what i need? my problem is that my programs is to big. Do you know the name of any free DNC program with drip feed