586,096 active members*
3,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CAM Recommendation

I am looking for a recommendation for a replacement cam package.
    Right now I am using mastercam X for drilling heat exchanger parts that are just basic hole drilling operations with about 500-3000 holes in each part.
    Mastercam works well for this but I am having problems with the dongle and windows 7 so I want to switch to something that is up to date and more cost effective.

So I am looking for something that can do 2.5D programs with 500-3000 holes with a good sorting feature and able to open Autocad DWG files directly.
    I would also like it to have some 3D features as well for basic milling and I was hoping to spend less then about $1200.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
    Dave

SheetCAM would work well for that.

Take a look at the Vectric line of software. for the holes cut 2d would work

The best and cheapest cam is the software you already own.
    Get a new computer. (I buy older workstations under $100)
    and load the old software and dedicate it to the only task.
    I run mine on Windows 2000 (dependable)
    Get a replacement dongle and a fresh reload of operating and cam software.
    Been doing this too long

I have tried using sheetcam a little, but it seems that the sorting is not very good at times. And I am not able to import DWG's directly.

I watched the overview for Cut2D but I didn't see a sorting option at all and it looks like you have to select each hole one by one so that would take way to long to create a program.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

You can left click your mouse at the bottom right corner and highlight all the holes

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    The best and cheapest cam is the software you already own.
    Get a new computer. (I buy older workstations under $100)
    and load the old software and dedicate it to the only task.
    I run mine on Windows 2000 (dependable)
    Get a replacement dongle and a fresh reload of operating and cam software.
    I agree 100%! If you want it on your LAN then place it behind a good router/firewall and run what works. The CAM software writers aren't going to re-compile their software and give you (for free) an update every time Microsoft decides to take another step in completing their operating system (aka update) so, keep it off the internet and isolated. All too often in manufacturing the operating system will break your CAM, CAD, RSLogix, or home brew machine control software due to updates.

You may be feel ashamed when your buddies see the logo of yester-year's operating system and exclaim, "Oh, man! That version of windoze is ancient!" Just let them remain ignorant while you remain productive. I have one NC machine with a Fanuc 3000C controller being drip fed from a PC running Win98 that's connected to my LAN behind a second router in which that network segment is denied access to any other segment. I have the PC stripped down with no internet browser loaded, no anti-virus, no Adobe, etc. In the eight years I've had this setup I've had ZERO issues - NONE. I just fire up the system and make parts. Thirty days later a fat check comes in the mail.

Almost EVERYONE who sees it remarks, "You should update that system!" and my response is always, "Do you buy a new screw driver simply because the Snap-on guy shows you a new one with a different handle? Or, only when it breaks?"

I forgot to add that the PC I described above is running a Pentium III at 333MHz with 8 MB of RAM. Since it's stripped down boot up time is FASTER than my machines running Core i7 processors clocked at 3.0 GHz. Windoze wound up bloated because of all the software attacks via the internet. If you must (and you will) want to add a piece of software to the older PC use a later version to download FROM A TRUSTED SOURCE and scan for viruses prior to loading on the older PC.

Cad/Cam software

Hello dave and all. I use Bobcam (p.s. buy the training cds) they will write a post processor for there system if there is'nt one, depends which package purchased you should be able to use their own like "sheetlighting" I seem to remember it will open DWG files ..another thought is Corel for dwg files similar used in printing you "flatten" after drawing before printing is done..

You might take a look at VisualMill from Mecsoft. It has a variety of hole-making strategies, including peck-drilling, and excellent 3D capabilities. DWG files are supported, and its repertoire of 2.5D operations is pretty strong. The list price is $1250, but with our discount it's well within your budget.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but I have BoobCAD version 23 and based on my experience I CANNOT recommend it to anyone. I spent nearly $2000 on two seats and got a couple bells and whistles. Yup, I read all the negatives on this site and just figured it was users frustrated because they weren't used to it. Once you buy it you are on your own unless you have a barrel full of cash for their training. The ONLY good thing to come out of it was the included predator simulator. I still hand write code and use the simulator for verification. Do what you will, but I GUARANTEE you will be another frustrated, angry, and disgusted user if you decide to purchase a license for BobCAD/CAM.

Another thing is you have to CONSTANTLY and RELIGIOUSLY proof read ALL the code the post processor generates for errors. Otherwise, you will pay dearly.

Contrary to Binary's experience I NEVER got a post processor for my Fanuc 3000C control and wound up spending several hours figuring out how to modify what they have on their website to make it work. What they entice you to do is correct and/or create one of your own and submit it to them so they can profit from YOUR work.

They aren't going to answer ANY questions after the sale unless you pony up MORE money. And will constantly ring your phone off the hook badgering you to buy their extended support plan, another license, or the latest version. Hell, V.23 wasn't even a complete piece of software upon it's release and NEVER got completed before they released V.24. They will not support V.23 either. And, now V.25 has already been released, therefore, I imagine all support for V.24 has been dropped as well.

Sorry to here about your experiences but, i will admit i have only asked them for the "post" i purchase the CDs and worked everything out myself from there. Although i am in electronics i havent touched code for over 20 years. I have started building a second bed to put a liquid dispensor on, i have tried only for a (couple of hours) drawing in corel saves dxf file> a code converter > Artsoft mach3 mill, all freeware, ive even pulled code from bobcad (as nc file) use mach3 which shows the software ghost cutting in real time not like bobcad which can only show a form of ghost cutting while scrolling thro the NC file ..the moral to this is once you have done a drawing and converted to NC you can use mach3 to confirm

@ binary: Sounds like you and I have taken similar paths. I can't remember exactly how the deal transpired, but I got their video training series as part of the package. Seems like the sales guy threw it in for "free". And, after I agreed to the purchase and declined to spend an additional $300 or so for the extended support I received numerous phone calls seemingly from every person in their organization attempting to sell me the extended support plan.

Like you I have programming experience in various languages and consider myself quite computer literate. And, while the training videos were as dull as someone reading the phone book aloud I used them and referred back to them several times. I found that use of the online help file along with trial and error I was able to get things figured out expeditiously. And, got several hints and tricks from this forum.

I do use about three pieces of software many times when creating G-Code for parts designed in house as I can leverage the best features of each to complete a project faster.

Re-wcis the soft approach to software

Ditto:
    After using various programming/design software, I find people who ask the question "what is the best software" should consider thier own experience first, then the person who they are asking.
    In other words people have different learning capabilities and if i was to answer the question "what is the best software" it would be start with the easiest for yourself first learn that package and then step up to an improved package.
    In many instances. If whatever package you purchase its the back up or service that will let it and you down. find a friend and work together if you can.
    (re- two heads are better than one) and for us older, ask your son or daugther
    consider the experience (this point also works in reverse)
    and to echo a point given by "wcis" the wealth of knowledge on these's site is not to ignor, so use them!!
    p.s. anyone brewing up