586,119 active members*
3,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Water chiller

What would be the implications of using a dorm refrigerator as a water chiller? I plan to drill two holes in the side of the unit and use a plastic box or something similiar filled with distilled water placed inside the refrigerator. The one I have in mind sells at 'Wally World" for about $60 and has a thermostat. Is this something worth trying, or will it not work?

Milt

You would be doing water to plastic to water to air to aluminum to refrigerant cooling.
    A proper recirculating chiller is water to copper to refrigerant. Bottom line is you could have a bucket of hot water in your fridge even if the fridge was maintaining temperature.

Could also be that the fridge can only remove a small portion of the thermal energy you are putting into it because it is only meant to keep a small, well insulated area cool.

Just a couple weeks ago a guy on here was modifying a water fountain chiller for the same use and I'd think that is a much better way to go.

Matt

hi milt
    if you use a smal radiator and put the right in front of window A/C unit like the ones what they sell at Homedepot fro $90 you would be good.
    i use a system like this down here in florida and can hold the temperatur around 68 to 70 F.
    the radiator is this one 120mm Water Evaporator/ Cooler for peltier or CNC Cooling they are perfect.
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    What would be the implications of using a dorm refrigerator as a water chiller? I plan to drill two holes in the side of the unit and use a plastic box or something similiar filled with distilled water placed inside the refrigerator. The one I have in mind sells at 'Wally World" for about $60 and has a thermostat. Is this something worth trying, or will it not work?

Milt

Small fridge wouldnt be able to remove the heat quick enough. Have you considered a fish tank chiller?

I have considered many things to cool the water for the tube. But, I am on a fixed income, so I need to be prudent. I am just now in the process of replacing the laser tube itself. I am not in any kind of formal business with the laser, so not much comes in to pay for the things that I do with the laser. I am, actually, just a hobbyist. Most of what I do with the laser is given away to friends and relatives. So again, I need to watch how much I spend. It seems the radiator idea may be the way I need to go. Now to find a source that doesn't charge almost as much for shipping as the radiator costs. I will check EBAY.

Milt

Maybe you can get away with a larger body of water? If you have the room, maybe you can just use a 30gal garbage can as your water source.

I am trying to use what I have on hand. What would happen if there were a 50-100ft coil of tubing inside the refrgerator that would hold the water inside for a good amount of time. Would that cool it down enough? I have ordered the radiator idea off of EBAY for 20.99 with free shipping. Still thinking of the refrigerator idea though.

Milt

Put the radiator inside the fridge with a fan on it

But, fridges really aren't designed for huge amount of heat handling, so your cooling effectiveness is going to rely purely on the thermal mass of the fridge contents.
    Build logs and other projects of mine: http://nqlasers.com/

It really seems like making cold water should be such a simple thing, and it probably is. The problem, I guess, is removing enough heat from the water in a short amount of time. That is the difficult part. I will try the radiator thing. Hey Herby08m, where are you in Florida, I am in Leesburg.

You are heating the water. A fair proportion of the power you are putting into the system is heating the water so a similar amount of power needed to remove it.

If it is for continuous use then a modified air conditioner (refrigerated) will work.
    It really depends on how much heat you need to remove in a given time.
    Air is pretty much an insulator of heat, so direct liquid contact with the evaporator surface is needed to do much good.

On the other hand, use the fridge. Leave it on for a week, make a big lot of ice, and put in a drum, or just go down to local ice supply, and buy a few bags.

You would be surprised how 2 or 3 bags in an insulated container filled with water will last. It is fairly easy to calculate how much heat 3 bags of ice can remove.
    Or just try it out. 1 bag? 2 bags, 3 bags full sir. You pay for the ice ... the suppliers electricity instead of yours.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Hi milt
    I am in naples, florida
    dont you have a A/C ?? I am using a old window A/C unit in the wall and did put one of this 120mmm radiator in front of it, and a 1gallon water reservour with the pump in it this system holds the temperature at around 70 degree F
    the radiator from lightobject is only $19 plus $13 S&H I believe its the cheapest one what you can find
    here the link:
    120mm Water Evaporator/ Cooler for peltier or CNC Cooling
    greetings
    walt

It really seems like making cold water should be such a simple thing, and it probably is. The problem, I guess, is removing enough heat from the water in a short amount of time. That is the difficult part. I will try the radiator thing. Hey Herby08m, where are you in Florida, I am in Leesburg.

hi milt
    which radiator did you order on ebay???
    greetings
    walt

I am trying to use what I have on hand. What would happen if there were a 50-100ft coil of tubing inside the refrgerator that would hold the water inside for a good amount of time. Would that cool it down enough? I have ordered the radiator idea off of EBAY for 20.99 with free shipping. Still thinking of the refrigerator idea though.

Milt

thats the right one if it is the same if you get it
    ghreetings
    walt

It looked the same. I have a small air conditioner in the shed where my laser is. I think you idea should work out ok for me. I will just be a little more jucicious in the amount of time that I use the machine, give it more of a rest.

Milt

Hi milt,
    I have the A/C unit running in my garage workshop anyway if I am working there and it does not cost more with or without the chiller setup Iput it directly in front of the A/C outflow and thats it.
    greetings
    walt

It looked the same. I have a small air conditioner in the shed where my laser is. I think you idea should work out ok for me. I will just be a little more jucicious in the amount of time that I use the machine, give it more of a rest.

Milt

Nothing is free. If you put a hot radiator in front of the AC outlet, the AC has to cool the radiator and the room. The consequence is that the room may be a bit hotter or that the AC will run more often (should be on constant when used to cool the laser anyway).

Matt

Hi matt
    it seams you know something!!!
    you probably dont live in a area wher you got a A/C running all the time and the cooling water differes only 2 degreeF acording to the manufacturer of the laser tube the temperatur can differe from 15 to 26 dgree C .
    no reason to panic
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Nothing is free. If you put a hot radiator in front of the AC outlet, the AC has to cool the radiator and the room. The consequence is that the room may be a bit hotter or that the AC will run more often (should be on constant when used to cool the laser anyway).

Matt

I guess the debate will go on and on. The place where my laser is located is a tool shed converted to a small wood shop. I have an air conditioner in the shed that can keep the shed at about 76 degrees if I run it at 72 degrees. I only turn in on when I am going to be using the equipment in the shed (usually just the weekends for now). I figure if the air conditioner can drop the water temperature a few degrees below the 76 by utilizing the radiator, it should be good enough. I just do not know for sure.

Milt

hi milt
    if you make a guide inside the A/C unit that more coolair will blow on the radiator you should be aible to bring the temperatur down to 72F but if you add a 120mm fan screw on the radiator sucking the air thru th radiator you can go down to 68 to 70F. that s what I did now I use a 110v 120mm fan and screw them direcktly on the holes on the radiator fit and have allready thread in it.
    greetings
    walt

I guess the debate will go on and on. The place where my laser is located is a tool shed converted to a small wood shop. I have an air conditioner in the shed that can keep the shed at about 76 degrees if I run it at 72 degrees. I only turn in on when I am going to be using the equipment in the shed (usually just the weekends for now). I figure if the air conditioner can drop the water temperature a few degrees below the 76 by utilizing the radiator, it should be good enough. I just do not know for sure.

Milt

Page 1 of 2 12