586,761 active members*
7,261 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LinuxCNC simulator and Colinux??

As probably many of you, I use Windows based programs for the CAD and CAM process, but use LinuxCNC for the machine control. I use a separate computer to do design than the one hooked to the machine. Up until now, I have been using a dual boot system and have just re-booted the machine into Linux to run the G-code in LinuxCNC in simulation mode. This makes for a very cumbersome and tiring way to do it having to re-boot, test, re-boot again to make changes, re-boot again to test again, etc. I have tried running LinuxCNC in a virtual machine, but on my machine it runs too slow and has some problems that are unacceptable. Just running linux in the VM doesn't work great.

Recently, I learned about coLinux which as I understand it runs linux process directly on the machine hardware and only uses the Microsoft Windows window manager to interface with the user. I have tried out a version of it on my XP machine and it is very fast running linux. I wnat to try to run the LinuxCNC on there, but I haven't been able to find the right coLinux kernel to download for using with LinuxCNC since LinuxCNC is picky about kernels.

I tried it on the coLinux that I have and the sim works and runs, but the graphical backplot doesn't work. The backplot screen is just the same gray as the interface. I have run glxgears and that runs fine, so it doesn't appear to be an opengl problem.

For those that don't know what coLinux is, here is a link

Cooperative Linux

My question is whether anyone has run the sim on coLinux before and if so, basically how did you do it?

Thanks.

I haven't tried, but it should be possible to get AXIS running without the realtime components, for simulation. Also, what VM are you using? I have used virtualbox with ubuntu, and it worked great. Keep in mind you have to have enough physical ram to support both operating systems. I have 4gb on my macbook, and i give 1.5gb to the guest OS in virtual box.

You aren't understanding what coLinux is. The only thing not working right now is the backplot. I am not running a "virtual machine" per say. coLinux runs concurrently with windows but not through windows for kernel operation like a virtual machine does. The Linux kerenel has direct access to the hardware. It is very fast when compared to a virtual machine implementation. I have tried virtualbox and vmware on my machine and it doesn't like either of those options. Under virtualbox or vmware I had problems with the virtual machine locking up, crashing, etc. I have 2GB memory and dedicated 50% to the virtual machine. Under co-linux, I dedicated 512mb to the linux kernel and it runs rings around the virtual machine implementation. Think of co-linux as one processor directly running 2 separate operating systems. The only thing that Windows does is that the linux kernel borrows the MS window manager to show the windows.

Bottom line is that I am not going to use a virtual machine like Virtual Box or VMware on this computer as it is not workable. I either get the backplot working in colinux or I will wind up just having to keep re-booting, or I will have to move to an entirely different machine.

I have found some information that leads me to believe that the backplot problem may be a issue with the python version being too new. Apparantly, Axis doesn't like the newest version of python and that could eb the problem. I am going to try rolling the python version back to an earlier one and see if that makes it work.

I also tried vmware/linux/simulator and indeed, python was too new. I now use a VM with 10.10 where I had tried 11.04. This runs the simulator just fine.
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router

Well I got it to work sort of. It turns out it is an open gl issue of some sort. Using a software open gl works, but is too slow updating the backplot. In order to be useful it will have to run faster. Haven't given up yet, just haven't had much time to mess with it.

Have you tried portable Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by salzburg View Post
    Have you tried portable Ubuntu.
    Yep. I had the same results with portable Ubuntu (Colinux with Ubuntu 8.04LTS) as I did with Colinux running Ubuntu 10.04LTS. I'm not sure what is up, but I'm working on other projects right now. I will definitely come back to this though as I would really like to get this working.