586,608 active members*
3,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multiple Parts

i need to run 5 snap ring pieces per cycle - using bar pull op - is there a simple way to repeat the program? i will face, drill, o.d. & i.d. groove for edge break, and then part off all five. The pcs will be .125" wide, using .125" wide groover and part off as well. i know G52 will work for a step over, but am i overlooking something simple like a sub program?

It is fairly simple: you use two subroutines and you can use either five work zeroes or one work zero and five G52 commands. This explanation uses five work zeroes. Your main program does the first subroutine call with an L count that is the number of times you can pull the bar before needing a new length; the first subroutine selects one of five work zeroes G54 to G58 then calls the second subroutine; the second subroutine is the program that makes the part.

Also in the main program are five G10 commands that enter Z values for the five work zeroes. G54 is left at 0.0, G55 is moved Z-{the part length plus parting allowance plus small facing allowance), G56 two times the Z- shift in G55, G57 three times and G58 four times.

Tool offsets are all set to the end face of the bar when it is pulled out ready to go using G54 as the work zero.

Starting with a new bar you pull it to the correct length, go to the first subroutine; select G54 call second subroutine and part off first piece then return select G55 call second subroutine etc, etc until all five parts are done. Return to main program select G54 pull bar and go back to the first subroutine etc, etc until the L count is reached.

Thanks a ton. That helped tremendously. Makes more sense to me now.