586,075 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > copy a feature in a feature tree to a different part file?

copy a feature in a feature tree to a different part file?

I need to copy a feature from one part file to a separate part. I assume that I should follow these following steps:
    1. Select the sketch and press crtl + c.
    2. Open the other part file.
    3. Click anywhere in the graphics area and press crtl + v

But I got an error message after copying the feature, that is, "Can not complete the copy operation because some of the selected items can not be copied"!

So, I thought that my feature might be a little bit complicated. At this point, I copied a very simple one to see if it would work, but again I got the same error message!

Not in front of a computer, so I'm going from memory, but I think you you have to select a face to paste the sketch on before you actually give the paste command. And maybe you copy a feature rather than a sketch?

Just some things to try.

I did! Now I get this new error message after pasting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error message.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CAD2013 View Post
    I did! Now I get this new error message after pasting!
    copy a feature or a sketch?

If it's just a sketch, click ok and it should paste the sketch. I do it all of the time. The sketch will not be defined but it should show up accurately. You will need to re-do all of your constraints and dimensioning.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm850 View Post
    copy a feature or a sketch?

If it's just a sketch, click ok and it should paste the sketch. I do it all of the time. The sketch will not be defined but it should show up accurately. You will need to re-do all of your constraints and dimensioning.

My problem is not with the sketch. I wanna copy one or few bodies from one part file to another. For instance I picked two simple part files as you see in this link. http://www.screencast.com/users/CAD_...1-2a873fe7961c

As soon as I click on "copy" I get an error message

I think it only works with planar faces.

I think it only works with planar faces.
    Would u plz leave a screenshot to demonstrate how it works?

I don't have an easy place to upload images to but here are a few tips...

1.The instant 3D button Must be pressed. It will not work if you are not in instant 3d mode.
    2. You can drag the feature from the feature tree of the old part to the face of the new part.
    3. If you are trying to drag the feature itself you must grab it at the center of temporary origin. You can't just grab a face and drag.
    4. If you have any constrsaints it will ask if you want to delete them or leave them dangling.

I wish I could be more help, but in almost a decade of Solidworks I have never used this command once from part to part until you asked. It works for me though, so I'm sure it will for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by CAD2013 View Post
    Would u plz leave a screenshot to demonstrate how it works?

I don't have an easy place to upload images to but here are a few tips...

1.The instant 3D button Must be pressed. It will not work if you are not in instant 3d mode.
    2. You can drag the feature from the feature tree of the old part to the face of the new part.
    3. If you are trying to drag the feature itself you must grab it at the center of temporary origin. You can't just grab a face and drag.
    4. If you have any constrsaints it will ask if you want to delete them or leave them dangling.

I wish I could be more help, but in almost a decade of Solidworks I have never used this command once from part to part until you asked. It works for me though, so I'm sure it will for you too.
    :cheers: