586,106 active members*
3,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Setting up Mach 3 with a 3 Axis TB6560 Stepper Motor Driver

Setting up Mach 3 with a 3 Axis TB6560 Stepper Motor Driver

I Have been trying to set up a system to utilize my TB6560 driver board I've set it up according to the manuals and countless hours of trial and error and experimentation. I Have attached some screen shots of setup screens and the diagnostics screen which I have some questions about. My Main question surrounding the diagnostic one is whether or not all the pins should be green?

I have a TB6560 connected through parallel port to Mach3. All 5 led's on the 3 axis board is illuminated and there is power to the stepper motors but they do not step. I have tried 4 wire bipolar connecting A+ A- to two wires with resistance and same with B+ and B-

Also I have gotten it to "step" but it was stepping one clockwise one then, one CCW and kept doing this till the test run stopped.

Mostly now the stepper motor is just in a "lock" state

This is the exact board I Have

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 7/15/2012, 19:55:02
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: OptiPlex GX520
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 502MB RAM
    Page File: 304MB used, 923MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

I am really excited to get this working, and can't wait to get playing with this. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diagnostic.JPG   configure.JPG   config2.JPG   config3.JPG  

Based on the info from your 'about' page, it appears that you are trying to drive a 5-wire stepper motor from the TB6560 bipolar driver.

My best guess is that it is not going to work (properly, anyway).

With a 5-wire stepper, the center taps of the two windings are internally connected together, so that effectively you are connecting your A and B windings together, which is a configuration that is unlikely to work with the TB6560.

So, either you need to locate some 4-wire, 6-wire, or 8-wire motors to replace the 5-wire motors, or else you need to ditch the TB6560 board and get some unipolar drivers instead.

Thank you! I Hooked up 4-wire motors and now we have some movement!! With quite a bit of mixed signals though..

Jogging Z axis is running on the Y port motor..
    Jogging Y is Running on Z port motor
    - Changing the pins didnt help..
    Jogging X wobbles the z port motor & nothing happening on x motor

I'm messing with the configuration in hopes of sorting this out, but changing the pins have not helped yet, not even to switch the Y and Z around.. :?

Any advice?

Thanks again.

Did you click the Apply button after making your changes in the Ports and Pins dialog box?

If you did, it's hard to understand how swapping the Y and Z definitions didn't "take".

Clicked apply after swapping them, it is rather strange...

Do you have a multimeter?

Can you check the voltage on the Dir pins (while the board is connected) when you jog in different directions, and verify that the voltage on (for example) the Y axis dir pin changes when the Z direction changes but does not change when you jog the Y or X axis in different directions, and so on for the other axes.

Yes I have one, will test and report back.

I've measured the voltages, with which I also noticed that the adapter I have powering the board didn't supply a solid 12v through the board when the motors are connected. So with that also fixed now, the voltages only change on the port to the motor that is jogged. Except when I'm trying to jog X (which it's trying to jog on the z port... still)

I think my settings are wrong, also when measuring the voltage over the x port it's not pulling through 12v like the others.