586,108 active members*
3,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > CAMworks for Solid Edge (student)

CAMworks for Solid Edge (student)

I am currently studying manufacturing engineering at university. I have been given an assignment which requires me to create an aerospace component and write up the g code alongside to create the part on CNC. I have no problem drawing the part up on the CAD package, however I cannot create the g code as I don't have access to CAMworks. Are there any alternative programs free of charge or should I try and write the code out by hand? (seems difficult as I have only started to study CAM and CNC). any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: CAMworks for Solid Edge (student)

If the part is modeled in Solid Edge, see if your university has Siemens NX installed. You can open the part directly there and use the CAM package.

There may be a student version of CAMWorks available - try their web site, or the forum here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/camworks/
    Mark Rief
    Siemens PLM

Without knowing the specific rubric for your assignment, I can suggest that there are many applications that will work as a demo for a trial period, so you could look into that. It's possible that Camworks is one of them, so I'd contact them and ask if they have a 30day functional demo. I don't think you'll be writing G-code by hand for anything aerospace unless it's 2d, in which case it's actually pretty easy to do.

..or u can upload the cad drawing and someone here, willing to help u by making the G-code for u..
    (It will take less than 5-10 min)

I wonder about the teacher and the university tho. How do they expect from students to get on with the g-code ? Why not give u the assignment to actually cut and produce the piece? Then they can measure it and give u the grade !!!