586,108 active members*
2,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Cambam problem
Page 1 of 2 12

Cambam problem

Hey Im trying to import a dxf file and the file open ok in cambam but when I create the toolpath there are some green lines and also when I create the gcode and I open mach 3 is a whole mess or sometimes you can only see some parts not all of it also I am using the trial is that maybe the problem thanks.
    Here is the dfx Im trying to use
    Attached Files Attached Files

Did you select the Mach3 post processor in the Machining section properties on the left pane? Mach3 displays garbage if the G-code is not generated properly for it.
    Green lines are probably the tool paths but it depends on the colors set by Tools -> Options.
    In few words, go trough the help and tutorial files on CamBam site.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Did you select the Mach3 post processor in the Machining section properties on the left pane? Mach3 displays garbage if the G-code is not generated properly for it.
    Green lines are probably the tool paths but it depends on the colors set by Tools -> Options.
    In few words, go trough the help and tutorial files on CamBam site.
    Thanks for the reply I found what the green lines meant and the post processor I chose Mach 3 CV and also Mach 3 but the same problem still happening I dont know if is because of the trial version

Definitely no. Trial version is working fine.
    Mach3 CV is a special version for the "Cut Viewer" program, don't use it.
    I opened your file but I am working in metric units and it appears large - like some 5 meters width.

I downloaded the DXF, used Transform to convert from mm->in. This scaled it properly. Then select all and Edit->Explode. Then did an Edit -> Join with .001 tolerance. This made everything a polyline, except for several splines. Then select the splines and Edit -> Convert To -> Polyline.

And vola! A clean file that can be machined as you want. The clean DXF is attached. Always try to have everything in polylines. It doesn't matter if you use Mach3 or Mach3 CV.

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the replies and help I really appreciate it I have gone through all of the cambam tutorial videos but still need to learn more

Quote Originally Posted by crodriguez1517 View Post
    Thanks for the replies and help I really appreciate it I have gone through all of the cambam tutorial videos but still need to learn more
    I have used CamBam for several years and am still amazed at its capabilities. Before buying it, I did a fairly intensive selection process in which intuitiveness, ease of learning and ease of teaching were high on my list. CamBam came out on top, plus it is very affordable. And the support service is excellent. Not often will the author of an application reply to a question, but Andy will when appropriate.

I have an A axis and am starting to get into the lathe operations of CamBam. Currently I write the Gcode using subroutines and variables. The simulations with CB is promising. We will see. Good luck with your cutting.

Dave

Its still not working I even downloaded the one dsnellen uploaded and created the gcode and still is not working is there a possibility the problem can be mach3

Its still not working I even downloaded the one dsnellen uploaded and created the gcode and still is not working is there a possibility the problem can be mach3
    Having been an user of CamBam and Mach3 for several years, I would say the odds of it being a Mach3 problem or a CamBam problem is 0%. The odds that you are doing something wrong 100%. Post the cb file and maybe I can help you. You can also ask for help on the CamBam forum.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
    Having been an user of CamBam and Mach3 for several years, I would say the odds of it being a Mach3 problem or a CamBam problem is 0%. The odds that you are doing something wrong 100%. Post the cb file and maybe I can help you. You can also ask for help on the CamBam forum.

Dave
    Here is another project Im trying to do thinking it would work because It was more simple but still the same problem. I did everything I always do but instead of creating the gcode I uploaded the cb file hopefully and if you willing to check the cb for me and see if Im doing something wrong thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
    Here is the link
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B26K...U2bXRwMFk/edit

Carlos,
    Tell me again exactly what is your problem. The CB file runs fine in a simulator. I don't see any unusual code in the gcode. Have you actually run this in Mach3 on a CNC machine? Please be more specific with your issue. Dave

It looks fine to me as well.

A couple of suggestions:

1) the depth of part is set to .25" and the depth of cut at .1". That is a 3 pass cut so why not lighten the tool load and divide .25 x 3 and set the depth of cut to .84"

2) if you set the cooling slots to a pocket you will get more options for finishing passes etc.

3) Think about the round profiles and what will happen to the left over material that will fall out once the cut is complete... with a 1/8" end mill you could risk snapping off the cutter if the scrape piece jambs when it falls out.

It may be better to use a larger cutter and do a pocket operation.

Just a few idea's.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

One thing I noticed is you have not specified a tool profile in the 3 mops. Last selection under the tool number.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    It looks fine to me as well.

A couple of suggestions:
    <snip>

Just a few idea's.
    Great minds think alike :-) I set the DoC to .125 using a .125 cutter. Changed the slots to a pocket and used holding tabs for the holes and the piece itself. I'd avoid changing the cutter for something as simple a couple of holes. I also like to use the spiral lead in move for profile cuts. It causes an extra lap but it creates a smoother edge. The OP needs to read, learn and experiment with a real machine. It took me a year+ to really appreciate the advantages of styles, parts and the machining parameters.

Dave

Ok I opened the same cb file and created the gcode and here is what happens when I open the gcode on mach 3 here is a screenshot of what it looks on mach3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4NoxEF7g3y.jpg  

Ok I opened the same cb file and created the gcode and here is what happens when I open the gcode on mach 3 here is a screenshot of what it looks on mach3
    Picture is too small for me to see anything useful. Post the gcode file. Dave

Click on the picture to make it larger and here is the gcode
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B26K...pXUk9sdnM/edit

It works fine for me. Orientation appears to be different than yours. Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
    It works fine for me. Orientation appears to be different than yours. Dave
    That the problem only the circles appear and not the whole project just some parts of it, how do I make it to show all the parts and route all the parts at the same time

In Mach, under general config, what is your IJ mode set to, I had a similar problem when I first started using CB. I set it to Incremental instead of absolute and the "crop circles" went away

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Page 1 of 2 12