586,108 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Leaving vise on the mill table....

I want to clamp and leave my vise on mill's table (CNC toolroom machine, coolant) so that I can save its location and then zero in time and time again and start working based on saved location. My concern is that in a short time there will be rust forming underneath and subsequently make my table uneven.

- is it a wise idea at all?
    - if yes then any tricks to ensure longevity of the table is unaffected.?

Leaving the vise on the table can get stinky. If it's clamped tight and coolant gets between the vise and table, you get anaerobic bacteria growth, and not only some rust, but stinky. I pull the vise periodically, clean and re-oil it.

Several ways to get accurate repositioning.... One easy way is ,,,<drum roll>,,, drill holes in the table.

Get the vise indicated in EXACTLY where you want it, indicated perfectly, and clamped down securely. In position, drill thru the vise, into the table a hole in the clamping ledge (assuming Kurt type here). Ream thru the vise and into the table. Do another hole on the opposite side the same way. I'd recommend using a +.001 reamer for whatever dowel pins you'll use as locators.

Because the vise tends to stick to the table, take the vise off when the other holes are done, and drill & tap a hole right next to each of the dowel holes. When mounted on the table drop an aluminum disc into the tapped hole, then when you want to dismount the vise, you've got tapped holes you can use to push the vise up, like a gear puller.

When the vise is off the table, stamp the word OIL next to each hole in the table.

I never leave the vise after working, it's a little mess because you haye to tram (i think it's this word to say "align or square") it everyday.

A couple of weeks ago i has a bad movement when working and went home as fast as i could, it was thursday. When i came back on monday, i moved the vise and there was a perfect copy of the vise shape in the machine table... Even the marking letters of the vise were in it.

Some scrapping and lube oil left the table like new, it's just superficial rust but in my opinion, it's not worth the mess to leave the vise in the machine.
    Drilling holes thru the vise and the machine table is for brave men, i love so much the baby to mark it forever

Quote Originally Posted by leix_99 View Post
    ...Some scrapping and lube oil left the table like new,....
    Your typo is pertinent. If you did indeed scrape off all traces of superficial rust you are on the way to turning your table into scrap. Just clean the table up with something like (green?) Scotchbrite which will not remove any metal. You will still see a trace of where the vise was but the accuracy of the table surface is not affected. Actually scraping material off does affect it.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Nono, scrapping the rust with the green side of the scotch brite, of course the "ghost" of the vise is still there but there's no rust affecting the "flatness" of the base!