586,094 active members*
4,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

About Pioneer Tool Holders

Hello to everybody,
    I am thinking in buying a Haas MM2 and speaking about tooling, my HFO recommended to me Pioneer tool holders. The have different packages and they are not bad in price. I had in mind to go with MariTool, but I would like to know if somebody used them and how is the experience.
    Is the first time I will be using CAT40 and I don't know very much about brands, qualities, etc...
    Thanks!

unless its made in the US its 100% junk especially retention knobs get them from jm machining on a haas they made a huge difference at least in my machine

I agree with delw on the retention knobs. A broken one of those usually equals a re ground spindle taper, and I've seen them break. I have never come across any holder by that mfg. we usually use parlec, command, or rego.

Maritool is amazing stuff.

Interesting thing about the retention knows. I never heard that before. Definitely I will keep it in mind.
    About Pioneer tool holders, I think they are made in Taiwan... so I will look for something made in US. So far, Maritool has the best deals...
    Thanks.

had a retension knob break last week ( 2nd one in 25+ years) came from use shop tools about 2 years ago..

Machine was sitting idle heard someone out in the shop drop soemething didnt think anything about it. finished program went to machine put program in machine . saw missing tool Thought I forgot to put one in. wasted 30 mins looking for tool holder with special ground tool in it.
    started to load another tool unclamped tool to put new one in and part of stud fell out.
    found tool holder at bottom of machine.

Been having problems with this machine from day one with vibration/chatter on alum. started changing out pull studs to american made ones and it helps a tad. the ones I mentioned above makes a huge difference. I can tell by sound/pitch.
    Replacing all my kenmetals ones with the ones mentioned above as well

Good thing the spindle wasnt running could have been very costly.

Delw