586,907 active members*
3,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > how would i accomplish this in gibbscam?

how would i accomplish this in gibbscam?

High-Speed Machining by Surface Solutions - YouTube

just looking to remove the corners of a rectangle in this fashion.

Looked pretty inefficient to me. I do not think Gibbs has this type of cycle built in.

how would that be inefficient? Ive ran programs like this with mastercam and it really improved the life of the tools we used. Now that i have my own mill and forked over the cash for gibbscam instead of mastercam, i get to learn alot of stuff all over

I was speaking inefficiency in machining time, not tool life. Sorry.

ya i mean that is a bit of a time waster, but im a small shop with a new to me older mill so anything i can do to squeeze more life out of tools the better, max i can run is 8000rpm and based on my math..which is most likely wrong,

800SFPM on a 1/2" solid carbide endmill (was coated and is a regrind)
    .004IPT
    0.0625" DOC
    .2 step over
    6095 RPM
    121.9IPM

that sound correct? Im so used to haas and having programs wrote already and using wips so its all pretty new to me doing the whole shabang!

Can your older mill get 121 IPM? Might want to do a test if not sure.

lol ya man, its old but not THAT old... 1991 cincinnati sabre 750, 450ipm rapids, i ran that program at 137.5ipm and works great!

that was at 6875spindle rpm, im not sure what this carbide tool can handle but at that doc/rpm/feed rate it hardly made any noise so im thinking i can go a bit faster with a bigger doc (not that i needed more doc since i was only doing 1 pass.

Gibbs does do trochoidal tool paths. Look under Plug-ins>HSM. If you do a lot of pockets look in to VoluMill. I had the demo and it's pretty cool. You do need a fast controller/spindle/machine. I was playing with an Enshu bed mill with a 15M and it could barley keep up with Volumill code.

I purchased volumill already, im pretty glad i chose gibbscam over mastercam so far.

using volumill for facing

and my first part made with gibbscam and my new (old) first mill. yea yea, i know...i had no holders so i couldn't chamfer the razor sharp edges, good thing i have a tumbler.

txcncman
    Looked pretty inefficient to me. I do not think Gibbs has this type of cycle built in.

Gibbs has had trochoidal milling for many years, it's the most efficient way to remove a lot of metal fast,add volumill & you can go even faster, & smoother
    Mactec54

i have gibbs and volumill, both work great even for my old machine. removing material fast isnt what im after, its extending tool life while removing material faster...the tool life for me is a huge advantage over quicker machine cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    txcncman

Gibbs has had trochoidal milling for many years, it's the most efficient way to remove a lot of metal fast,add volumill & you can go even faster, & smoother
    Thanks. You might need to tell me one more time. Now, what was the original question?