587,030 active members*
4,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Creating a data monitor for Fanuc Wire EDM's

Creating a data monitor for Fanuc Wire EDM's

We currently have approx. 100 Wire EDM machines (All with Ethernet access) and the majority are ‘Fanuc Robocut alpha-OiA 18i – W series’.
    Currently we use a self-made data monitor system in which batch files look over .txt files produced by the machines FACTOLINK and store information into a MySQL database. This information stored in the database is displayed on a various php pages.

We now have new ‘Fanuc Robocut alpha-OiE 32i – WA series' machines which output partially encrypted text so cannot add these to our current data monitor.
    We are looking into putting all our EDM's onto one system and have looked into using KEPServerEX5 but don't seem to be able to connect our OiA machines to this as they don’t support FOCAS drivers required (Kepware say they support 18i and but Fanuc have told us that the machines dont support FOCAS). The new OiE machines can connect to the KEPServer but we don’t know what information is coming through and what addresses hold what information.

Has anyone used either of these machines, used KEPserverEX5 with them or created a data monitoring system for these?

Also, is there a way to access the shared memory of the application, as we may be able to develop a custom interface using Kepware's CID driver.

Any information or advice is welcome as we've hit a dead-end.

Thanks in advance.

Lightbulb A New Solution for Fanuc Machine Monitoring...

I believe that the wire EDMs that you have are based upon standard Fanuc controllers - the Fanuc 18iA and 32i by the sounds of it. The Ethernet link for Fanuc's supports a variety of protocols (FACTOLINK, FOCAS, FTP, etc) but they require drivers and options to be enabled. It sounds like you have a basic KEPware PLC style interface, but it may be you may be able to garner the data in a variety of ways.

We have been working on an embedded hardened PC interface that leverages the new MTConnect XML Schema standard for machine monitoring. Our product is called the ORiON(tm) Machine Gateway Interface and it may be able to help you here. We get asked usually to supply data relateing to real-time production and asset utilization (like Overall Equpment Effectiveness or OEE). The ORiON also has an embedded DNC function with LAN/WiFi (802.11B/G) connectivity and 2 Gigs of local storage in flash.

In summary, I would be interesting in talking with you further about your needs as have done a lot with Fanuc controls over the years (memory upgrade, DNC, BTRs, retrofits, FMS systems, etc). It sounds like you have an interesting challenge that we might be able to help with. Feel free to contact me at +1-905-581-3718 or via e-mail at [email protected] and we can continue the discussion of just what is possible.

Regards,

Tom Gaasenbeek
    Nexas Networks - Computer Integrated Manufacturing