586,745 active members*
6,639 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Mass finishing equipment/media/strategies > Frequency vs amplitude of the vibration for a polisher

Frequency vs amplitude of the vibration for a polisher

What's more important for building a vibratory polisher, the frequency of the vibration or the amplitude of the vibration?

The reason I'm asking is that I need to decide what size pulley's I need to machine for a small polisher I'm building. The motor I'm going to be using is a 5/8 HP 30k rpm motor, and it will be vibrating a 5 gallon bucket. Should I gear the motor down for more torque and larger displacements, or keep the ratio close to 1:1 for high frequency?

This polisher is going to be used for mostly polishing aluminum, and maybe deburing the occasional piece of steel.

Also, has anyone ever tried garnet abrassive for polishing/deburing?

Are you actually vibrating the drum or just turning it?

Most vibratory deburrer/polishers I have seen operate at around 20 to 60 Hz with an amplitude from 1/2" to maybe 1". Rotary tumbler polishers run at around 60 to 200 rpm depending more on size than anything. With a 30k rpm motor reduction will be necessary. Really this motor is not entirely practical because you would need such a large reduction ratio.

I have both a tumbler and a Vibratory unit for polishing brass. The tumbler is slower but make lots less noise and does a better job I think than the damn shaking vibrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    Most vibratory deburrer/polishers I have seen operate at around 20 to 60 Hz with an amplitude from 1/2" to maybe 1". Rotary tumbler polishers run at around 60 to 200 rpm depending more on size than anything. With a 30k rpm motor reduction will be necessary. Really this motor is not entirely practical because you would need such a large reduction ratio.
    Thanks, that's really helpfull info. Unfortunately, it's the only motor I have laying around at the moment. I'll see what I can do with it, and if it doesn't work, at least now I know what sort of motor to pick up.