586,116 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

laser for cutting cardstock

Hello I am wanting to cut cardstock and paper by mounting a solid state laser onto the head of my cnc router.

I would appreciate some recommendations on what power I would need, does not need to be very fast.

Also if there is anything else I would need other than the laser itself if it is directed strait down.

cardstock

Hi,
    is the cardstock you mean for corrugated beard,we enclosed one sample by our laser machine ,not big poer ,60w will enough.

Best Regards
    Lucy Lee
    G.WEIKE LASER

Quote Originally Posted by poorfarmer25 View Post
    Hello I am wanting to cut cardstock and paper by mounting a solid state laser onto the head of my cnc router.

I would appreciate some recommendations on what power I would need, does not need to be very fast.

Also if there is anything else I would need other than the laser itself if it is directed strait down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6055.jpg  

I have cut cardstock fine using 1.2W of 445, which can be had for under $150 with TTL modulation capabilities, although it is fairly slow. I would be aiming for maybe 3W or so IR.

Keep in mind though, since most IR lasers are multimode and sometimes even multidie, they can be a pain to colimate into a small point.
    Build logs and other projects of mine: http://nqlasers.com/