586,103 active members*
3,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Problems with spindle speed control

Problems with spindle speed control

I recently had to purchase a new 1.5k VDF as my old one (photo attached) burnt out. I was recommend this particular VDF (photo attached) but when installed it I am unable to slow the spindel speed down quickly as per my you tube link below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAIquhH0Pqo&feature=plcp]1.5k VDF drive - YouTube[/ame]

Just for the record I am currently using "Vectric 3D Cut" and then "NC Studio".

As the problem has persisted I contacted the manufacturer and read these forums and they both say you need to adjust the PD003 parameters. I have no idea where to find the parameter settings. Is this parameter setting just for people who are using Mach3 which I currently do not run?

Has anybody any ideas how to adjust my spindle speed?

Many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old.jpg   new.jpg  

In the drive itself. Manual available on line.

It appears to be a Huanyang, which is probabally your first mistake!
    You may have been better off to pay slightly more and get a Hitachi or ?
    Do you have the manual?, it is on line at various places, although not very explicit.
    You access the parameters through the key pad.
    Often you can run a VFD's out of the box, most require an initial set up of some kind for optimum performance.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks guys for both your responses. Indeed I have purchased the Huanyang Inverter (HYA07D543B) and thanks to your advice below I have got the issue resolved.

My conclusion so far regarding the Huanyang is that the biggest problem with the Huanyang is the instruction manual is not that clear. I am not an electrician and I found that the manual did not explain how to reprogram the machine to slow the spindle down.

Other than that the hardware seems to be ok. I am not too sure what the price difference would be compared to a Hitachi. I see that a lot of people seem to prefer the Hitachi model.

I will certainly keep you posted regarding the long term performance of my Huanyang Inverter.

Thanks so much once again.

Also insure you have the service ground going to the VFD, and continuing on to the motor frame ground.
    The ground connection is sometimes missing on the R.O.C. HS spindles.
    Al.

Albert E.

Umm please remember I am not that experienced in these CNC stuff more specifically the trouble shooting.

I have had the CNC machine running for about 5 mins so far thanks to you guys.

However, sadly I am not too sure what or where I would find the "service ground" which should be "going to the VFD, and continuing on to the motor frame ground".

Furthermore I am not too sure what you mean by the "R.O.C. HS spindles"

Sorry to be a pain.

Service Ground is your ground implemented at the Service Panel, should be available at the outlet you are using to supply all equipment and VFD, this ideally is connected to a star point mounted somewhere in your enclosure or a central point accessible to all earth grounds and bonding conductors.
    This should connect to the ground terminal on the VFD, it can then continue on with the 3ph conductors to the motor, where it would be connected to the motor ground terminal or some other means of connecting to the motor frame ground.
    http://www.automation.siemens.com/do.../emv_r.pdf?p=1
    ROC (Republic of China, Hi speed spindles).
    Al.

Albert E.

Sadly I am still a little confused with what you mean. What I have done is to try and illustrate how the wiring is working - see link. MVI 6727 - YouTube

Couldn't tell much from the clip, but strictly speaking you should either use shielded cable for the 3ph to the motor or single conductor stranded, wound tightly and ran in something such as metallic conduit or flexible metallic conduit, together with the ground.
    I am not sure of the electrical regulations where you are, but suspect they conform either to UK or US standards?
    If you remain confused, it may be advisable to get some local help or interpretation.
    Remember you are dealing with low level signals, i.e. PC is 5v TTL and high voltage AC for the VFD, and both are most likely common to each other through their respective connection to ground.
    Apart from the safety aspect, it is important to observe certain practice in order to prevent spurious noise causing premature tripping of Limit switch inputs etc
    Al.

Albert E.